Hurt my a hawk

biteme21

Hatching
Sep 6, 2015
One of my chickens was attacked by a hawk yesterday, she is in shock and all the features around her neck are gone but I can't see any blood but I can see where she's cut to the fat. Should I take her to the vet or let her heal up on her own?

[SIZE=I would take her to the vet. A neighbor's mini pincher dog was attacked by a hawk and got scratched up and the wounds became infected fairly quickly. It's not worth taking the chance.3][/SIZE]

I had a white rock attacked by a hawk about a month ago. She had wounds which I could see the muscle through, a little less than two inches wide, and she healed up within a week using a topical antibiotic and daily cleaning. She's still missing some feathers on her back, but she is okay.
The best thing you an do for shock is provide food and water and leave them alone and quiet until they come out of it. Get the wounds as clean as you can and then handle them as little as possible. Some chickens deal with it better than others.

If the vet is an option, it's definitely a good idea!

I hope she pulls through!

This happened to my silkie last spring. There was a hole in her shoulder, missing neck feathers, and a triangular wound on her back that went into the fat. I took her to the vet and had the deep wound stitched and the smaller shoulder wound glued. She needed antibiotics (Baytril). If the vet is an option, definitely go because that is a full-depth wound and very infection-prone. Usually a non-chicken vet will be willing to do something basic like stitches (the emergency vet I went to was not a bird person but was willing to do it). If you absolutely can't go to a vet, she definitely needs antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom