1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hurt my a hawk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by biteme21, Jan 10, 2016.

1. biteme21

biteme21 New Egg

Sep 6, 2015
    One of my chickens was attacked by a hawk yesterday, she is in shock and all the features around her neck are gone but I can't see any blood but I can see where she's cut to the fat. Should I take her to the vet or let her heal up on her own?

2. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    Take her a vet if you can. Good luck and I hope she pulls through this.

3. CLSranch

CLSranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    NE OK
    Can you post a pic of the wound?

4. Vickie 51

Vickie 51 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2012
    [SIZE=I would take her to the vet. A neighbor's mini pincher dog was attacked by a hawk and got scratched up and the wounds became infected fairly quickly. It's not worth taking the chance.3][/SIZE]

5. torilovessmiles

torilovessmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    I had a white rock attacked by a hawk about a month ago. She had wounds which I could see the muscle through, a little less than two inches wide, and she healed up within a week using a topical antibiotic and daily cleaning. She's still missing some feathers on her back, but she is okay.
    The best thing you an do for shock is provide food and water and leave them alone and quiet until they come out of it. Get the wounds as clean as you can and then handle them as little as possible. Some chickens deal with it better than others.

If the vet is an option, it's definitely a good idea!

I hope she pulls through!

6. shadow rabbit10

shadow rabbit10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2012
    New Jersey
    This happened to my silkie last spring. There was a hole in her shoulder, missing neck feathers, and a triangular wound on her back that went into the fat. I took her to the vet and had the deep wound stitched and the smaller shoulder wound glued. She needed antibiotics (Baytril). If the vet is an option, definitely go because that is a full-depth wound and very infection-prone. Usually a non-chicken vet will be willing to do something basic like stitches (the emergency vet I went to was not a bird person but was willing to do it). If you absolutely can't go to a vet, she definitely needs antibiotics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by