Hurt Tom

Stiletos2CwbBts

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 12, 2014
Help! My big Tom, Clyde, is not doing well! Yesterday I moved him to a new coop.....lots of walking and a few times I had to pick him up to go over hurdles.

Now, he's in the new coop but can't stand. When he tries, he rocks back and then kinda flails with his wings. And then stops, closes his eyes and deep breathes.

I've tried palpating him and the only this I can find is that when I run my hands under him, there is a hollow just past the area where he fills himself up with air but I don't know if this is normal.

I don't know if I tore a muscle when I lifted him, if he's sore from his big walk or stressed. Either way, I want to know what I can do. If I can give him something for pain or stress. I've got him breathing lavender oil right now and just cuddling him. Have no idea if hE's drank or eaten. Help!

You don't say anything about what variety of turkey Clyde is, or how old he is, or how heavy he is...based on your description I am guessing he is a broad breasted bird? While historically a flock of heritage turkeys could be walked to market like a herd of cattle, broad breasted turkeys were never meant to travel, even from coop to coop, if it is very far. And the older they get, the harder it is for their little turkey heart to keep that giant body going.

I hope he is in a comfortable and safe place. I don't think there is much you can do for him other than offer food and water. He may just snap out of it and get back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom