Husband is really going to kill me over my chicken math skills!!!

we started at 8, ended up wanting 16 the next day; minimum order is 25...but they sent 28, lost 2...so I'm at 26...

went to TSC and they let me by 5...so I have 31

but I'm sure a few are roos...

AND DH said we should look into an incubator...

ummm..just where will they b during the winter??? 31 WILL NOT FIT in my 10x10 lol...

however....I'm sure hubby will perfect his coop bldg skills soon...

Mine too. I came home from the feed store with two banties. I enticed him with their insane amount of cuteness, but after I'd already come home from the feed store with two barred rocks he kinda wasn't happy that I'd gone from 6 to 8 and now 10 chickens. He loves the little banty chicks, but I'm under strict orders. No more chickens. Period. I get it. I have no will power in the face of the fluffy butts. Normally I don't take well to being told what I'm allowed to do, but he's right
roll.png
No more chickens.

I rehomed 1 so I'm down to 20... 15 I have to watch and see if any turn into roos - those will go... then I need to determine which pullets to rehome so I can get down to 12.

Oh, but I found a cute little old coop on CL for free today, brought it home, caulked and painted it... going to roof it and build another little pen... for 3 silkies I'm picking up tomorrow! Then that's it! I swear!!

Quote:
Yes he is. Can't say I wanted/needed 13 more chicks and 13 ducklings, but what can I say. I knew better than to let him go on his own to the store with only his baby girls. By now he knows I'm not really going to mind more birds.

Sad part? DH is the master coop builder here. I say a nice 10 x 10 coop for the banties. He builds them this 16' x 24' banty heaven coop. We've had this discussion before. If he builds to the size I vote for, we don't have room for more. If he builds to his size, we have a coop with room for twice as many.

AWESOME!!
lol.png
I like his thinking!!
As for chicken math?? I would have to stop and think to tell you exactly how many right at the moment....
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes he is. Can't say I wanted/needed 13 more chicks and 13 ducklings, but what can I say. I knew better than to let him go on his own to the store with only his baby girls. By now he knows I'm not really going to mind more birds.

Sad part? DH is the master coop builder here. I say a nice 10 x 10 coop for the banties. He builds them this 16' x 24' banty heaven coop. We've had this discussion before. If he builds to the size I vote for, we don't have room for more. If he builds to his size, we have a coop with room for twice as many.

AWESOME!!
lol.png
I like his thinking!!
As for chicken math?? I would have to stop and think to tell you exactly how many right at the moment....
big_smile.png

I'd have to pull up the program we have, get all the numbers, add them up, pass out in shock at the number, revive myself, look again, pass out again, revive myself again

Then post the numbers.

Darling Husband had a genetic disregard for chickens (like mother, like son), so the first time I said "I'd like to have some chickens", he ignored me. And the second time. The third time, he said, "we're not going to have any god-darn chicken!" Hmmmmph... Well, guess what... I said it again awhile later, adding "really", and he gave up. "OK, have some chickens!", so a friend came and built me a coop... finally, we had the coop and bought a mixed group of hens........
Three weeks later the first egg was laid on his birthday! After that it was all his idea...

Quote:

AWESOME!!
lol.png
I like his thinking!!
big_smile.png

My SO is outside building my coop right now. (It's finally sunny and not gale force winds) I asked for 8x8 because I have a basic understanding of lumber sizes. HE is making it 8x12 with space off to the sunny side for expansion. Now, these are "my" chickens, so he says. But why is my coop larger than *I* think I need? Men, gotta love them.

gosh! and here I thought I was the only one with this problem! PHEW!!! I got 3 hens last year and was content. But one died over the winter, so I replaced her with 3 pullets. And I lost one of those to a dog and just bought 3 more.... and a friend got some chicks and got a Partridge Rock for me, so that's one more coming..... and I have to confess, I'm getting 3 bantam chicks from another friend this summer..... boy, am I in the dog house around here!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom