Husky dog and poultry, slaughtered chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
My BF's dad, back in the day (60's & 70's) would beat the dog with said dead chicken & then tie it to his collar. So tying it to him may help! Sorry for your loss.
While I had to chuckle at the mental picture of someone beating a dog with a dead chicken I will say that is NOT the way to teach a dog not to kill chickens.

It’s totally you’re decision if you want to own a dog that is in control of you. If you want a wild animal go to the woods and forests. Attempting to keep a domesticated animal that is unpredictable or wild in your view is both irresponsible and silly.
I don’t particularly care one way or the other. If you want to allow your dog to do whatever it wants and kill your chickens be my guest.
I agree. However, I do not think the OP is just letting their dog kill birds. But I also think they are not being very careful, or caring too much.
Seems to me they thinks it’s cruel or “crushing his spirit” or whatever teaching him rules and respect but it’s not. It’s confusing to a dog not knowing what to expect.

This reminds me of our last dog when my dad thought every single rule I tried to impose was “mean” (and they weren’t. Most was simple stuff like laying out of the kitchen while we are eating) and let him do whatever he wanted. Guess what? Dog was a nervous wreck and had some resource guarding and aggression issues when he was younger and even occasionally popped up when he was older and was very overprotective because he was insecure.

I taught him anyway and eventually broke through to him and he only listened to and respected me for the most part. I was even able to teach him a lot of tricks and fun things once I broke through. He loved me and I played with him tons and gave him lots of love and treats, went on long walks/hikes etc. but he still had rules, structure, and was taught he couldn’t be aggressive with me or refuse to listen to commands and was much happier for it. I didn’t teach him in a cruel way or anything like that but he didn’t get rewarded if he didn’t listen and I also would reel him in on a leash at first when he wouldn’t come 😂🤣

But he learned.

And it didn’t crush his spirit. He was still a happy, goofy, fun loving, sweet dog who also respected me. There’s a difference between crushing them and teaching respect.

He still didn’t listen to most other people and he was still pretty insecure because my dad still let him do what he wanted so he wasn’t totally fully trained but he knew he couldn’t do that with me.

Weak nerves is often confused with aggression or *wild natural behavior. Some people may not mind. Marking territory is a *wild natural behavior. I wonder if peeing in the house isn’t frowned upon for fear of breaking the animals spirit? Either way best of luck!

Your problem with the dog is that it thinks he is the Alpha not you. You MUST get the dead chicken away from the dog and establish your dominance.
He is not an alpha male in our family. I am. My leg has pants in this family and I can be very dominant. When I speak, everyone is silent, including chickens and humans. Husky does everything I say. He goes to his place and goes to sleep when I say that. Our dogs also do not steal food, although it is at the level of their noses. Only the chicken he did not give up. We also have another dog and we treat both dogs in the same way. Even the candy they get one first today, another first tomorrow. The fight (seemingly) goes to who gets mom's attention first.

Weak nerves is often confused with aggression or *wild natural behavior. Some people may not mind. Marking territory is a *wild natural behavior. I wonder if peeing in the house isn’t frowned upon for fear of breaking the animals spirit? Either way best of luck!
I´ts so simple. If you do not give the dog the freedom to mark his territory, then yes he will pee in the room. If you don't take him out 5 times a day, he'll pee in the room. If your dog's bladder is sick (or other diseases), yes he will pee in the room. If you treat your dog badly .... endlessly....

He is not an alpha male in our family. I am. My leg has pants in this family and I can be very dominant. When I speak, everyone is silent, including chickens and humans. Husky does everything I say. He goes to his place and goes to sleep when I say that. Our dogs also do not steal food, although it is at the level of their noses. Only the chicken he did not give up. We also have another dog and we treat both dogs in the same way. Even the candy they get one first today, another first tomorrow. The fight (seemingly) goes to who gets mom's attention first.

Well dang son, if you're such an Alpha than why haven't you gotten that dead chicken from the dog?
Dogs NEVER growl at Reddogmaster2
NEVER.

Well dang son, if you're such an Alpha than why haven't you gotten that dead chicken from the dog?
Dogs NEVER growl at Reddogmaster2
NEVER.
They did get the chicken. This post is almost two weeks old now. Although that said, they didn’t get the chicken themselves. They drove the car over it. So I guess didn’t really make him move or win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom