Husky Reds

cornfedhogedito

Songster
5 Years
Mar 23, 2014
California USA
Has anyone ordered any Husky Reds from Hoovers Hatchery?

First order 100% death rate. Second order 50% death rate. I'm not speaking badly about the hatchery, they have always delivered successfully before. The post office screwed up the delivery on the first batch and they were barely moving when they got here. Second batch was a lot more lively.

This is a NEW bread and I am thinking that they do NOT handle cool/cold travel well.

Just wondering if others have had success with them yet?

Thanks

Has anyone ordered any Husky Reds from Hoovers Hatchery?

First order 100% death rate. Second order 50% death rate. I'm not speaking badly about the hatchery, they have always delivered successfully before. The post office screwed up the delivery on the first batch and they were barely moving when they got here. Second batch was a lot more lively.

This is a NEW bread and I am thinking that they do NOT handle cool/cold travel well.

Just wondering if others have had success with them yet?

Thanks
I have been trying to find out more information on this "new breed" myself. Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the delivery.
Has anyone else since received any Husky Reds? Does anyone know what they are a cross of and the origins? They sound interesting. Another hatchery that I have used in the passed is no longer offering Red Rangers and has replaced them with these Husky Reds.
Thanks!

14 of the second batch lived and are doing great getting big.

Going to try another batch next week.

Sorry for not updating sooner, I actually forgot I asked this. 5 days after this I had a semi run a stop sign and we hit. My truck lost the battle but I lived,messed me up but I'm alive!

14 of the second batch lived and are doing great getting big.

Going to try another batch next week.

Sorry for not updating sooner, I actually forgot I asked this. 5 days after this I had a semi run a stop sign and we hit. My truck lost the battle but I lived,messed me up but I'm alive!
...And I'm sorry to hear bout your misfortune with the truck!
Thanks fro the info. Do you find that they forage better than the cornish rock (I know, I know, everything does).

I passed on Husky Reds this year, but I seriously considered them from Hoovers.

We are using the Cornish X's for the 2nd year - last year had a high death rate (bought 175, harvested 120) but we made a lot of beginner mistakes that we hope to remedy this year for better results. Of the 120 living, they were easy raising and tasted great. Harvested 4-6 lb birds after 8 weeks. May try to get to 9-10 weeks with this batch.

I ordered 30 Husky Reds from The Chick Hatchery, they had the best price by far. hatch date was 7/10/18 I received 31 live chicks on 7/12/18 one of them looked a little weak and he only made it about a week. 8/4/18 I moved 30 healthy chicks to Death Row "that's what I call my meat chicken grow out pen" about two weeks I'll open the gate so they can free range. After about an hour they discovered crickets in the straw bedding and the foraging began. I just butchered 26 Cornish X at 8 1/2 weeks and the Husky Reds already act more like chickens than they did at 8 1/2 weeks. I have high hopes for them! I'll post updates as they progress.

I ordered 30 Husky Reds from The Chick Hatchery, they had the best price by far. hatch date was 7/10/18 I received 31 live chicks on 7/12/18 one of them looked a little weak and he only made it about a week. 8/4/18 I moved 30 healthy chicks to Death Row "that's what I call my meat chicken grow out pen" about two weeks I'll open the gate so they can free range. After about an hour they discovered crickets in the straw bedding and the foraging began. I just butchered 26 Cornish X at 8 1/2 weeks and the Husky Reds already act more like chickens than they did at 8 1/2 weeks. I have high hopes for them! I'll post updates as they progress.

Hi, have you noticed any differances between your husky reds and red broiler/freedom rangers? Any information would be greatly appreciated as there is barely any information online for them, thanks

I finally got a reply from hoover, I asked them to compare the the red ranger to husky red to red broiler in terms of growth rate, this is what they wrote;

"To answer your question about growth rates for the meat breeds, the fastest is the cornish cross, next is the red broiler which is very similar. Then comes the husky reds which do grow faster than red rangers but are more similar to red rangers than they are to red broilers."

So there it is, (at least from Hoover)
( Cornish Cross > Red broiler ) > ( Husky red > Red Ranger )

Back
Top Bottom