1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Hutch size?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by kyrose, Jul 27, 2013.

1. kyrose

kyrose Songster

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Hello,i have 2 1 month old new zealand babies,and i've decided to make them outdoor rabbits.They will have access to a large fenced in yard all day but i need to give them a secure hutch for night time.So i was wondering what size hutch would be good for them? Also for now they are in the house in the air conditioning.What is the best way to get them used to the heat before they go out perminately so i dont hurt them?Thanks for any advice..

2. ChocolateMouse

ChocolateMouse Crowing

Jul 29, 2013
    Cleveland OH
    Hi! Your rabbits won't be "secure" in their fenced area unless you put a dig guard in. Otherwise they will just dig their way out. If they are the same gender they may end up fighting when they get older and you'll want separate cages, and if they're different genders one they need to be separate or they'll breed and just keep on breeding wearing out the doe.

To acclimate them I'd let them out in an actually secure pen for a short time period every day with plenty of water and shade until they spend most of the day out in it.

As for a hutch, I would say a decent sized hutch for a rabbit with free access to a large outdoor pen would be 2'X2' for 1-2 big rabbits. It should be up off the ground with a ramp in and out and needs to be kept dry. If they spend most of the time in their hutch it needs to be much larger.

Good luck!

3. kyrose

kyrose Songster

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Thanks for responding.I actually decided to use my spare coop.Its about 3 1/2x5x6.We will put a second floor in for their sleeping area.Theres a fenced in covered run that has cement on 2 sides so we will bury hardware cloth on the third side.They are 2 males and we are planning on getting them fixed,so hopefully they wont fight.They wont be around any females.

4. ChocolateMouse

ChocolateMouse Crowing

Jul 29, 2013
    Cleveland OH
    That's pretty big! If you want to make them extra comfortable give them a big, sturdy produce box turned upside down up there to sleep in. I give these to my rabbits and they love them, and the cardboard is safe for them to chew on. They toss them around sometimes and play with them too. I get them for free from Costco, you can probably get them free from any grocery on a shipment day, though. It's especially important for the winter time... The cardboard box gives them a small, well-insulated "room" to be in when it gets very cold, as opposed to letting their body heat escape into that whole big coop. Make sure they have lots of hay, too, to stay warm! Good luck!

5. kyrose

kyrose Songster

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    My dh is going to build them a box (untreated wood) to sleep in.Im not worried about them in the winter.The walls and floor have 2 inches of insulation.We will keep straw in the sleep box and probably pine shavings on the main floor.I plan on litter training,and keeping 2 boxes in there so clean up wont be so bad.Thats the plan anyway.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by