Hybrid Hoop Coop/DLM

I’m using primarily wood mulch as litter. I do toss in shavings when I clean out the brooder, but it’s mostly mulch. It’s only gotten a little smelly twice. One time, I fixed it by adding a couple more wheelbarrows of mulch. The second time it was because my goofy chickens like to roost up on the 2x4 header over the nesting boxes instead of on the lovely roosts I built for them. So it took me a while to realize that I needed to scrape that board off once or twice a week. But now I just scrape it off onto the floor, and the poop disappears into the litter.

No flooding so far. I attribute that to the cover that keeps the rain off and the raised blocks that allow any run off water to drain through quickly and easily. Hurricane season starts in September though, and that’ll be the true test.

So out of curiosity... do you ever plan on moving this coop or is it an in-place sort of thing? I want to do something similar but movable! I'm worried about the hardwarecloth apron when I'd move it. Could it be pinned up out of the way? HMM.

Back
Top Bottom