Hybrid or not, gardening question?

Quote:
That is what I have done in the past. The butternut squash seeds I have came from a particularly tasty, healthy squash that I bought at a local farmer's market, ten times better than anything else I've ever had. So next spring, guess what I'm gonna be planting?
smile.png

They have Mexican pumpkins at the flea market for $8-10 apiece... they sell them in the Big Grocery Box Market for $15 each as "fairytale pumpkins" because they're REAL meaty pumpkins, the absolute best for making pumpkin pie or any type of pumpkin/squash dish (the hollow-style pumpkins we use for carving jackolanterns does not make for the best eating/cooking). Last year, I did not save the seeds and could not find them in the store. The pumpkins weigh like 15-20 pounds or more and are huge and solid. I'll be saving the seeds from those this year, as well, to plant in the spring.

Ya know, we've been looking for a country rental for a while and hopefully may get something late spring/early summer, but I'm gonna hate walking away from this garden before harvest if the move happens before the food gets ripe.

Quote:
That is what I have done in the past. The butternut squash seeds I have came from a particularly tasty, healthy squash that I bought at a local farmer's market, ten times better than anything else I've ever had. So next spring, guess what I'm gonna be planting?
smile.png

They have Mexican pumpkins at the flea market for $8-10 apiece... they sell them in the Big Grocery Box Market for $15 each as "fairytale pumpkins" because they're REAL meaty pumpkins, the absolute best for making pumpkin pie or any type of pumpkin/squash dish (the hollow-style pumpkins we use for carving jackolanterns does not make for the best eating/cooking). Last year, I did not save the seeds and could not find them in the store. The pumpkins weigh like 15-20 pounds or more and are huge and solid. I'll be saving the seeds from those this year, as well, to plant in the spring.

Ya know, we've been looking for a country rental for a while and hopefully may get something late spring/early summer, but I'm gonna hate walking away from this garden before harvest if the move happens before the food gets ripe.

Any way you could plant this years garden somewhere else, friends place etc... so if you do move, you don't lose the food?

"Courge Poivree" is just the translation into French, not a variety. Since produce is shipped all over the world, that squash was labeled for the US, or possibly Canada.

It was likely grown with thousands of other squash plants, but assuming it came from a big store (ie not a local farmer) it's probably a hybrid. Squash pollinate freely with all other squash, gourds, cucumbers and melons too, so there's no telling who the daddy is.

Saving seeds is fun, but why not spend a dollar or two on a pack of a real open pollinated heirloom, and then save its seeds for years to come!

Back
Top Bottom