Hybrid or not, gardening question?

Kassaundra

Sonic screwdrivers are cool!
12 Years
Sep 1, 2010
Henryetta
Does anyone know if the acorn squash courge poivree is a hybrid? I was going to save the seed for replanting but wasn't sure if it was worth it or not. Thanks

Yes, I had already tried the search online w/o finding the info about hybrid. Thanks, I am going to go ahead and plant this coming season.

Is this a squash you purchased or is this a something you grew from seeds? I've never heard of a hybrid of acorn squash by that name. The name is french and it roughly means pepper squash, but that is what the french call acorn squash because they serve it seasoned with pepper.

It is one I purchased, so I thought I might just plant the seeds from it to see what I get. The label had both acorn squash and courge poivree on it.

I'm pretty sure that is has to say on the package of seed if it is a hybrid, it should say the name "Acorn Squash" and the under it if it is a hybrid it will say the variety, example in tomatoes it will say "Early Girl Hybrid" under the name...

Ahh lol, can't help you there! There is no way to know.
tongue.png

There is bad news and there is good news. Squash is an imperfect flower. That means it is not self-pollinizing like tomatoes or peppers. You have to have pollen from a male flower physically moved to the female flower to get pollination. It is real easy for a bee to cross-pollinate squash of different types. So there is a chance your acorn squash could have been pollinated with a totally different type of squash. That is the bad news.

What I consider the good news is that if you bought it in a big box store, it was almost certainly grown in a field full of other acorn squash. The odds are that it was pollinated with another acorn squash. So I would plant some seeds and see what I got. There is a reasonable chance you will get an acorn squash.

I once saved seed from a Lakota winter squash to see what I would get. I am almost certain it crossed with an acorn squash. The result was a huge squash that was very good but there were very few squash that actually grew on the plant. I think you will be OK but you may get a surprise.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom