Hybrid Pheasants

Pics
Excellent photos again Wildlifeartist. I have learnt a lot about the hybrids being fertile from your posts. I always believed that crossing two different families of pheasants resulted in a sterile bird. Which comes from years of people spouting their beliefs rather than actual proof. Glad to see someone that has proof!

Thank you for sharing even though you have to put up with the snide comments! and rude behavior of others that think they should have control of YOUR birds.

Excellent photos again Wildlifeartist. I have learnt a lot about the hybrids being fertile from your posts. I always believed that crossing two different families of pheasants resulted in a sterile bird. Which comes from years of people spouting their beliefs rather than actual proof. Glad to see someone that has proof!

Thank you for sharing even though you have to put up with the snide comments! and rude behavior of others that think they should have control of YOUR birds.
If it matters, even some mules have produced foals so hybrids are "supposed" to be infertile but hybrid and infertile are not the same thing.

I've been reading through the posts and as usual, see both sides. I bought some pheasant chicks at the local feed store this summer, as a novelty, and have thoroughly enjoyed watching them grow. They are ornamental type, goldens, and obviously crosses from what I've learned about them this summer. I'm not ashamed to own them, they're prettier every day, but I will not be "raising" crossbreds to sell to anyone.

I am using these "mutts" as learning tools to develop skills in raising pheasants as well as to decide if I would be interested in raising a few, select, purebreds later. I don't see it as a good idea to jump in with purebred Pheasants before I've got a handle on how to care for them and house them properly. I have plenty of room in the freezer as well as friends here who want to have some to train their dogs on. I can't imagine this will put any purebred pheasant at risk. Since they are already "mutts" I figure to cross them since they're good for nothing else as far as breeding. They will not be let out into anyone's breeding flock and I did not make them in the first place so I have no guilty feelings about owning them. In fact, I would imagine I've done the purebreds a favor by taking them out of the production and sales line.

If anyone in the group would like to PM me that has real experience, I am open to learning and have a Lot to learn but they will have to accept that this is my first year and my mutts will be the learning tools that get me going. There is no point in berating my mutts and neither they or I had anything to do with their existence and the only way I'll be able to do better is through education and guidance. I know there are some species who have been DNA mapped. Is there no way that the pheasants could be DNA typed to determine purity? There are a few poultry breeds that they can do this for.

Your mutts may be purebreds. Goldens do not achieve full color in their first year. Give them a couple of years. I really doubt they are hybrids. Any pictures? What species were they supposed to be when you bought them?

I am very interested in hybrid pheasants and have some experience with them.It is a pity these photos do not have captions. Would be great to know the parent species.

Back
Top Bottom