Hygrometers are reading different...which do I use?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Smokin Silkies, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    I originally had a reptile hygrometer that I used. I ordered a Springfield on Day 1 of hatch, but never received it til day 16. It is now day 19 and the hygrometer that I've been using reads 50%-53% and the Springfield reads 39% & 100.8*. My other 2 thermometers I have in there say 99* & 102*. Im not quite sure which to go by. Im having a very hard time keeping my humidity up anyways. Im trying to keep it between 45%-55%. If I go by the reptile hygro, then Im fine, but if Im going by the Springfield, then Im still low. I am using an LG still air with silkie eggs. I have filled all the water wells up to the top, plus 2 bowls and a few small pcs of rag (because I didn't have a sponge. Im thinking the Springfield would be more accurate, but not sure. This is my first time hatching. I just found out how to accurately calibrate a hygrometer, but at this point, its too late, as I can't open the bator. Thanks for the advice and help!

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I used 4 of them and none of them read the same. I just let nature take its corse and hope for the best now that your on day 19. Hope someone gets on here and helps better than me.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I always have the best hatches with either a Springfield or an Accurite in the bator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by