Hypnotized Chickens

coopdujour

Hatching
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Walnut Creek, CA
I am extremely curious if anyone knows why, how... chickens become hypnotized when placed on their backs. My daughter did this to two of our chickens yesterday and they stayed in this position for over 3 minutes before she thought they were dead!

I have no idea...but the kids love for me to do it. They call me the "chicken whisperer" because they think I'm the only one who can do it. It cracks me up.
lau.gif

I have never tried it but a friend of mine has. There is a thread with pictures of some chicks that have been hypnotized.

I had this one antwerp belgian quail rooster that was meaner than heck. we named him Midgie.... He would get you from behind while doing chores. I would throw my hat at him to scare him off.. He would sometimes flop it and work it over.
I finally had enough and started holding him on his back in palm of my hand. Then placed him on top of fence post! He would stay there for several minutes and his head would even droop down..
I kept joking that he was a hawks breakfast...
He met his match one day while ponies were eating feed. He got into their bucket and they tromped him. I cried like a baby and buried him in that hat.. ..
sad.png

I just came in from the garden .. My daughter hypnotized each chicken. Some stayed there longer than others...the Arcauna's were WAY more taken by it than the RIR or Buffs. One fell asleep while laying there, another chirped like a baby. Unbelievable!

Just now after reading this thread i tried doing this with my chicken but it didnt work it stayed in that position for a few seconds but its head kept on moving so it wasnt hypnotized

You know, for de-stressing humans (I'd better specify lol), they recommend to lie on your back with your feet up. Apparently it disengages the sympathetic nervous susystem and helps promote better sleep if you do it before bed. No idea where I read it, it was years ago. I wonder if it's the same effect on chickens; they immediately relax.

Back
Top Bottom