Hypothermia?? Lifeless newborn chick!

itsmaddiejohnson

Chirping
Sep 14, 2020
Central Florida
Hello all,
Last night, my broody hen had an egg that was pipping. This morning we found the chick in the coop far away from my hen and covered by bedding. The chick isn't moving and is cold. I put the chick under a heat lamp and I'm hoping that he/she will revive. One of the eyes are open and it looks dry.
Does anyone have any experience and could provide tips?

How long does hypothermia usually last in a newborn chick? I'm not even sure if the chick is still alive.

Thank you for your help.

Hello all,
Last night, my broody hen had an egg that was pipping. This morning we found the chick in the coop far away from my hen and covered by bedding. The chick isn't moving and is cold. I put the chick under a heat lamp and I'm hoping that he/she will revive. One of the eyes are open and it looks dry.
Does anyone have any experience and could provide tips?

How long does hypothermia usually last in a newborn chick? I'm not even sure if the chick is still alive.

Thank you for your help.
I only dealt with a cold almost not responsive chick, I put it under mama hen to warm up. The chick was fine the next day.

If the chick is alive, which it sounds like its not, you will see it breathing. If it is breathing, I would put it back under mama. She will warm him up.

A couple yrs ago, I found a lifeless chick near a broody hen who had apparently rejected and removed it. The coop was very cold, w temps in the 40’s. I held the chick in my hand while I finished coop chores. As I carried it outdoors to go bury it, it began peeping! The warmth of my hand had revived it. I brought it indoors and put it in a brooder.

A couple yrs ago, I found a lifeless chick near a broody hen who had apparently rejected and removed it. The coop was very cold, w temps in the 40’s. I held the chick in my hand while I finished coop chores. As I carried it outdoors to go bury it, it began peeping! The warmth of my hand had revived it. I brought it indoors and put it in a brooder.
This is exactly why some hospitals have volunteers to hold premature babies when their mothers can't. Skin to skin contact can do wonders!

Back
Top Bottom