1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hypothetical question on locking up hens at night.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicamama, Jun 29, 2008.

1. chicamama

chicamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Topanga Ca
    I round up my five hens each night and lock them up. They started to go awol on me (see post on neighbors feeding). Anyway, last night I barely managed to get all 5 in their pen and I was tempted to lock out the stray lady who would not come in.
    If, in the event that one will not come in, is it fair to say, "Goodluck and goodnight" and lock the other ones up (and her out), or leave the pen door open later into the night hoping she'll put herself to bed?
    Just curious what you would do? [​IMG]

On that same note. I have pulled the feeder out in hopes that they will be hungry for dinner when i call and hope to avoid the above scenerio.

As always, TIA

2. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    I had that same problem with a group of 5. The others wouldn't let them in the coop. (Sadly I have since gotten rid of them.) It got to the point that chasing them was futile. I noticed they like to hang out front. They didn't get bothered much over there. But catching them was a nigtmare. Hubby put a cage by the bushes where they hang out and we kept a rake nearby. Sure enough I was on the front porch when they came right up to me. They took one look and headed for the bushes. The cage was there. I calmly and quietly got up, picked up the rake. Stuck it at one side of the bush and my body in front. All went in the cage. Later I got the boys to carry it to the coop.
    Now I will keep them in. (Not allowed to free range) for at least 2 weeks. Until the get used to the coop again.

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Try saving a treat of choice for them for bedtime to entice them in with.
    I wouldn't leave any out with a "Good luck and goodnight" since too many beings on this earth relish chicken for dinner.
    JJ

4. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    seven of my hens stay outside of a coop at night. as they will not go inside of the coop. they have done that for 2 years now.. i keep a light on my chickens at night. so i havent had any problems. i live way out in the middle on the country on 9 acres...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by