Hypothetical Question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by new2chickens2011, Dec 18, 2011.

1. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Hi all,
    Just a question. Completely hypothetical, as I am processing my Cornish X next week. However, I was just wondering, if I didn't feed them alot, let them free range, etc. and they lived a long time, when would the hens lay eggs? Do you have any who have lived that long?
    Thanks from a newbie! [​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:maybe..BUT they wont be true Cx....theyd be a chicken but not CX because they dont breed true when bred back to eachother...there are lots of folks that have had them live months even up to 18 months-BUT they are not bred for that and usually die from heart attacks-joint issues etc...

3. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Quote:How do your Cornish look now? I assume they are 6-8 weeks old. I will bet they are already just sitting in place eating, and some have sprocket leg and some have twisted toes and all are poop machines..... They would need to be at least another 14-16 weeks older to just be able to lay..... Imagine the issues they (and you) would have by then..... Are you having a change of heart in processing? If not, harvest as they were bred to be, and get a slower growing breed for your future egg needs.....
    I don't think you meant you wanted to breed them by your post.... but as sonew123 said, they will probably not breed true.

4. new2chickens2011

Jun 11, 2011
    They are 8 weeks old, and no, not having a change of heart at all! Can't wait to eat home grown meat!
    They actually are fairly active and don't have foot problems. THey run around when I let them out which is usually all afternoon. Yes, though, they poop a lot! [​IMG]
    I AM NOT keeping them until they reach laying age OR breeding them, I just was merely curious. I have DP hens for my future egg needs [​IMG]
    Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  5. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    You can but they continue to grow. My neighbor had to call me to dispatch 2 that he let grow to 4 months old. They were the size of turkeys!!

6. new2chickens2011

Jun 11, 2011
    Quote:Wow!

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Yes they can live longer. Mine started laying at 6 months old and they layed double yokes frequently. They lived until they were 4 yrs old.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  8. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    You would have to start them on a "diet" and get them excercising and free ranging from the beginning. You can't raise them to grow fast and then change your mind, at that point they are going to have leg, heart, lung, and liver problems most likely. I had some that I kept for about 9 months, two hens. They started laying, about an egg every other day, and they got enormous, about 15 pounds. After about two pounds, they lost all interest in free ranging and just sat around. I had to watch them closely because they would try to climb into the goats' water bucket to cool off, and would drown, they had no sense of danger at all, they would stand right in front of the wheelbarrow when I was pushing a load of something, and if I didn't go around them, they'd stand there looking stupid until I ran over them. Mine at least needed pretty much constant babysitting.

If you can get them to the point of laying, they will breed somewhat true. I never hatched any of mine because they died from the hot summer weather before I was ready to hatch. Others have done it though, and had decent results. You certainly won't breed them and get a Leghorn type, the offspring will be meaty, obviously, though they might not be identical to the original.

9. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yes it is possible if you raise them like you described, they can live and reproduce. I have used breeder hens that were excapees from a commercial breeder house after the season ended, and bred them too heritage breed roos and I have also used a couple that were the actual CXs that are used for meat and their offspring grew much faster than regular heritage breeds without the health problems of CX.

10. new2chickens2011

Jun 11, 2011
    Hmm. Okay. Interesting! I never plan on doing it but was interested in knowing. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by