Hypothyroidism-Need thyroxine

Levothyroxine is something that is prescription only for any species and thyroid disease requires lab work to determine by checking the thyroxine levels (t4) and sometimes other thyroid-related hormones. I would suggest ruling out other more common illnesses first, or visit an avian vet.

I have researched for days regarding a 14 week old Orpington Pullet purchased as a chick from a hatchery and vaccinated for mareks and treated for Cocci (Etta) that came to me about 3 weeks ago. She presented with issues of not eating, lethargy and being cold (staying under the heater). She has never been around other chickens (except her flock mates) or outside. Her two other flock mates (different breeds) are doing well. I found a case study which I believe points to the problem with Etta. I believe her to have Hypothyroidism (attached).
I took Etta from a customer because she was unable to care for her. I initially started a week of baytril 10% but I did not see any marked difference. Then I tried 1 shot (IM) of Iron Dextran at half the recommended dosage per DVM Poultry (thinking she had anemia) then 5 days later a full shot of the recommended dosage. It appeared she had just a slight bit of improvement but I think that was wishful thinking.
After a lot more research and finding the attached case study I really believe I found the answer. Etta is now 14 weeks old. She will only eat scrambled egg, she will not eat chicken food of any kind. I syringe feed her about 20 cc of starter feed each day and she eats 1-2 eggs a day. When I took her in she weighed 1 pound 4.8 ounces, she now weighs 1 pound 12.1 ounces (over a 3 week period).

This is what the case study recommends but it does not tell me the dosage, supplementary thyroxine (supplied as iodinated casein, known as Protamone)?
I did order some Lugos Solution of Iodine as mentioned in the Poultry DVM before I found this case study, I have not administered this yet.

Symptoms:
Cold intolerance
Weak
Lethargic
Tiny voice
Pale
Extremely shiny feathers (pic)
Feathers longer than her breed (pic)
Not eating well- she likes scrambled egg and will not eat any chicken feed or any other fruits or vegetables except the tiny flowers from broccoli.
Slow weight gain
Poo is normal in relation to what she's eating.
Alert
Talkative
Eager to eat scrambled egg ONLY
drinking well

I did reach out to two local vets-one I am waiting to receive a quote for blood tests and biopsy but I highly doubt the cost is going to be minor. The other vet has been playing phone tag with me.

I have never had a case like this, I have dealt with all kinds of other normal chicken issues but hers is different.

Attachments

• IMG_0869.jpg
    IMG_0869.jpg
    631.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0871.jpg
    IMG_0871.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Thyroid doc.pdf
    152.3 KB · Views: 4
You could be correct, however, you cannot get medication without taking the chicken to the vet. California is very restrictive now regarding drugs for livestock. Most places don't carry any anymore (TSC). Sometimes you can get drugs from Chewy or other online places, but I don't think I've ever seen thyroid meds. I wish you and miss chicken the best of luck! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom