HYPP in horses

HERDA I've heard of before. It causes problems with the skin I think, where the tissues that connect the skin to muscle deteriorate. I remember seeing pictures of horses with huge lesions. Some of the more severe horses can't be ridden because the rubbing of the saddle causes the skin to rip. As I recall, not all of the cases are quite so serious, but it's another huge genetic problem in QHs!

When that was first reported, I was just - I was horrified. I couldn't imagine not putting the animal out of its misery when it is going through that.

Having worked at a "Halter Horse Show barn" before, you are probably not going to see AQHA disallow N/H horses any time soon. The majority of H/H horses have to be medicated just to function. A lot of N/H horses need meds, others are non symptomatic, never tying up once that you notice their entire lives.

I was at a man's barn that was big in the Halter Horse business, one of the biggest names you see winning constantly. He breeds to get N/H horses on purpose because they win. AQHA makes a lot of money off of these breeders. As long as these "big name breeders/showers" are making AQHA so much money, I don't see why the association would make these changes.

The problem is the way they are handling it, won't get the gene out of the gene pool. The N/H horses keep putting the gene back in. Even if they're all totally symptomatic, they're keeping the gene in the gene pool. But from what I read, the asymptomatic horses can suddenly fall at any time.

The breed organization has a responsibility to manage the gene pool of the breed. Otherwise, they are running the risk that one of these animals is going to fall and injure or kill someone.

Last edited:
Quote:
You're assuming they're actually concerned with ethical breeding and not money, which is the reason it wasn't stopped outright.

Exactly. Lots, but not all, halter people love the HYPP horses.

Quote:
You're assuming they're actually concerned with ethical breeding and not money, which is the reason it wasn't stopped outright.

Is there a particular reason halter people have a tendency to use HYPP horses, or is it just because they are more typically affected by HYPP?

Last edited:
bigger muscles.

Though when I look at some of those halter horses, they don't look hypp, they really look like they are being given steroids. They look extremely weird.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well clearly they are not TRYING to get it out of the gene pool.

They are just trying to throw a sop to the whiners so the bad publicity will die down and they can go back to business as usual. It's just windowdressing, pure and simple.

Pat

Back
Top Bottom