HYPP in horses

Yes.

(There, how's that for a simple answer to a complex multi-part question? LOL)

H/H are on average more severely affected than H/N, but that is *on average* and there is a good bit of variation. So you can find individual horses that are H/H and have little if any obvious symptoms, and individual H/N horses that are quite distinctly affected.

While it is by no means impossible to have a H/H horse that has not shown symptoms (that anyone's noticed), I have to say that I would take that about as seriously as I'd take any other ad copy like "sound", "16.2 hh", etc
tongue.png

Pat

What does H/H, N/N, and HYPP stand for? So know what your talking about I have an idea that something with genetics or dna because your talking about breeding with it. How do you know it the horse has what? Do all horses have it or just quarter horses?

Thank you!

Arabianequine, zazouse posted a link to a website that has some really great and concise info on HYPP. That explains the condition a lot better than I could!

I wonder how many horses are carriers of HYPP and people don't even know it. I really never learned much about it all these years I've been around horses. I've never even heard anyone ask about it when looking to buy horses. Seems like if you are out to purchase a QH or something else that may be affected by the disease in their lineage, you would want to ask about it.

My dad always said it's amazing horses don't drop dead more often, with all the things that can kill them in this world!

We had a N/H Appaloosa at the barn where I board. One morning he was found dead in his stall. He had never had any symtoms of HYPP before. He was only 3.

The breeding program is supposed to be aimed at completely getting the gene out of the breeding pool. The only way to do that is to also not register (or breed) any possible carriers, so it's not about how severe the disease would be in the individual, even mildly affected or completely asymptomatic/well managed individuals can pass it along if they have the gene.

The gene is dominant so HH and HN animals can pass the gene to offspring AND show the disease. HN animals would be more mildly affected, but the problem is, they can pass the disease along.

The AQHA only bars HH animals, HN animals are 'under discussion'. Which is utterly laughable. As long as HN animals are used as breeding stock, the disease will continue to be passed along.

Some offspring will still be HH, and some will be HN. HN animals need to be eliminated from all/any breeding programs of all breeds to get rid of the gene.

What the AQHA offices don't seem to get is - genetics. How basic, simple genetics works.

The disease has also spread to other breeds that have Quarter Horse blood.

And this I just learned - the same disease exists in humans.

Last edited:
I am not sure he would have to get it from his sire or dam. It could be a novel mutation.

Like red hair in humans. A gene that just spontaneously occured about - what was it? 4000 years ago in Europe?

Many diseases are caused by novel mutations - called copy number variations. But so are many adaptations.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom