Hysterical Rooster Behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dogdollar, Nov 12, 2010.

1. dogdollar

dogdollar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    My Barred Rock rooster, Dominick, is pretty typical, I guess. He loves his nine girls; gives them the best of everything and always looks out for them and finds treats in the yard. Of course, like all roosters he gets his fringe benefits, too....but the girls don't seem to mind and I have never seen him get excessively rough. Yesterday, though, I experienced something pretty extraordinary, and I ran through pretty much the whole gamut of emotions withing just a few minutes in time.
    Dominick had mounted one of my Production Red girls and was doing his thing. Then when he was through, instead of stepping off as he normally does, he took one step off and then, like in slow motion, tottered over onto his back with his feet sticking straight up in the air...then he started shaking his head and his toes started curling up. He looked as though he had been shot. A few seconds later, he rolled over on his side and he was looking around 360 degrees like his neck was broken....the only thing missing was little cartoon stars floating in a circle around his head. After a few seconds more, he slowly got up, straightened his feathers out a bit, regained his composure, and carried on as usual.
    I can tell you that, at first, I was petrified to see him like that...I actually thought he was dying from some kind of heart attack or seizure or something...but I also have to admit that, after he got back up and got on his way, I had tears in my eyes from laughing....it was the funniest chicken behavior I had ever seen.
    I was trying to confirm my suspicions about just what happened, and the lady at my local feed store seemed to be thinking what I was thinking. I described what happened to her, and she just looked at me, straight-faced, and said, "Sounds like it was the best he ever had".
    DD
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  2. WhoopiePie

WhoopiePie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    Queens, NY
    [​IMG]
    lucky guy!

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Gee, I think I've seen that myself before once or twice. Oh, you were talking about chickens?

4. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    [​IMG] I'll bet he was really embarassed!

6. maurerwerks

maurerwerks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Sunapee
    I think that's the funniest post I've read on here!!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG]
    Mabe ya better look into making some saddles for your girls [​IMG]

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Buffy! For shame! [​IMG]

Seriously does sound like a seizure disorder. Can chickens even have them? I mean seizures occur due to a short circuit in the electrical activity of the brain and chickens..............oh nevermind.

That's funny stuff! [​IMG]

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Best he ever had. Yep, I remember.[​IMG]

10. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by