I’ll need your optimistic feedback!

My Very First 6 Chickens

*~* Livin', Lovin', Learnin' *~*
May 5, 2021
Connecticut
Hello and good morning beautiful chicken people! So, my 6 12wk old girls free range for 30 minute clips throughout the day. No problems. I will be going out of town for 2 nights; so the girls will not be able to free range while I’m gone. Can you offer me words or encouragement that everything will be ok? Are there tips or advice you can give me before I go? Their coop and run is safe, i guess I’m most concerned with their responses and hope for some ideas that will keep them content while I’m gone. Thank you again BYC loves. 🐥❤️

Do you have someone to check in on them, make sure they have food and water?

My chickens' favorite "treat" is their food, wetted into a mash. A plate of that during the day might be a welcome diversion.

They will probably complain about not being let out. They'll forgive you. :) You are The Bringer Of Food.

How big are their coop and run?

as PP inquired, do you have someone coming to check on them?

my girls are in a 4x8 tractor with a 4x4 “coop” on top. When our neighbor watches them they stay in the tractor all day (and coop area at night) but they are let out each morning and put away each night). When my FIL watches them they are allowed to free range.

at 12 wks yours are still young to be free ranging (imo). I think they’ll be just fine given their run and coop offer enough space/entertainment for them.

I went camping last weekend and left my ladies to it in their run/coop with auto door. They had fresh water with electrolytes in both waters and food filled to the top. The neighbor keeps an eye on them but does not let them out, just randomly makes sure nothing is amiss. We got home 2 days later and they had plenty of complaining to do, but after a few hours free ranging, and some frozen wet mash they forgot all about it😉

The most important thing you can do is make sure the run and coop are secure (especially at night) and that there is food and water available at all times. Do this and the girls will be just fine!!! Our neighbors check on our three hens while we are away. They give fresh water and food in the morning and close the coop door at night. My girls are typically free range, 3 hours a day when I am home, but maybe get 20 minutes when we are away. I usually give our neighbors a large bag of greens before we go. I ask them to put a handful of greens in a suet cage and hang it in the run in the afternoon. This gives the ladies a little entertainment during the day. If the weather will be really hot while we are gone, I also freeze a little watermelon for the girls to peck at.

Do you have someone to check in on them, make sure they have food and water?

My chickens' favorite "treat" is their food, wetted into a mash. A plate of that during the day might be a welcome diversion.

They will probably complain about not being let out. They'll forgive you. :) You are The Bringer Of Food.
Regarding food and water, that should be fine. I have the 2 feeders/waters hanging up securely from under the coop. I do not have anyone to check them other than asking my cousin to just put eyes on them which I dont feel is necessary. Maybe I’m looking for advice on things to adjust to keep them entertained maybe?! 🐥❤️

They really don't need to be entertained but you can punch some holes in a water bottle, fill it with scratch or something so they have to kick it around for stuff to fall out.
Apples on a string?

Back
Top Bottom