I’m 😠 lost!

Selahlove

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2021
I have one Welsh that is dropping an egg every 24 hrs. We put them in our 360 nuture right because she isn’t sitting on them . My question is how to handle 3-4 eggs put in on the beginning part of month with 4/5 days left till hatch. Then we have another 3/4 that are only 14 days in and another set we put in there the last few days. It says to open ours up for humidity the last 3 days.... should we do this ? I don’t know how to get the most hatches. We were just trying to preserve the eggs as mom wasn’t sitting on them.
Thanks

A staggered hatch like you are currently expecting rarely works well.

Can you make a diy incubator to hold the later groups until the earlier ones hatch, then move them into the good ‘bator for lockdown?

Many people incubate with essentially ambient humidity (dry incubation) and only increase for lockdown and hatch.

If you can rig something up that will hold your temps steady, then you might be ok to move them into the real incubator just for the actual hatch. :confused:

That‘s probably what I would do.

Can I remove the last two I just put in yesterday and today? I read where you have up to 5 days to get the egg to incubater.
When you say diy incubator you mean an enclosed area to keep temperature in the 99 s with no humidity

Can I remove the last two I just put in yesterday and today? I read where you have up to 5 days to get the egg to incubater.
When you say diy incubator you mean an enclosed area to keep temperature in the 99 s with no humidity
If they have already been in the incubator you can’t pull them out and let them sit a room temperature since they have already begun to develop.

I’m getting an eco glow tomorrow... can I put 4/5 later ones under it? Then put them back in when 1st batch out?

You mean the heater plate, or is that another incubator?
another incubator would be your best option, use one at low humidity, and one at high humidity for the final 3 days and actual hatch.
If that’s not an option, you’ll have to raise the humidity for days 27 and 28, while the first ducklings hatch, then remove the ducklings and the water, and continue incubating the other eggs. A couple days of high humidity shouldn’t hurt the later eggs.

Your best bet is to have a few incubators going with one or two for lockdowns only and only set new eggs once a week or so. I'm not quite so overwhelmed with eggs yet like you are, but it worked for me last year and that's my plan for this year too

Back
Top Bottom