I’m back but for a sad circumstance

I’m so sorry for your loss! I had 2 get killed while they were locked in their house at night, and was left with one that I now keep inside. Definitely recommend a stuffed animal, my little one snuggles up with his when he’s in his bin. I honestly don’t see him as depressed at all, he loves bugging the dogs, cuddling on my lap and getting treats!

On another note, where did you get that pen you’re using?? I’ve been looking for that exact thing to keep on my deck for my duck to hang out in when I’m not out there. Is it transportable or broken down easily? I want something I can take to work with me too so the duck can come, but I like that it has a roof on it!
I got it at tractor supply. They have this medium size and small and a very large one. This is easily transported. I drag it around for fresh grass. It’s easy to take apart and put together (IMO)

You are not a horrible duck mom or you wouldn't be worried about your remaining duck. I would be surprised if the vast majority of the folks on this forum haven't lost a bird that they feel responsible for. I know I have -- and more than one. ONCE, I forgot to close the coop door and three hens died. ONCE, I let my ducks wander into the back of the property and a drake died.
I am very sorry for your loss. But, don't beat yourself up too much, just do your best for your surviving duck.

:hugsSorry to hear about your duck! That's a tough situation to be in. Is free range an option at your place? If the predator were to come back, it may at least give your remaining duck a chance to fight back and run away.

I understand your financial burden, I am a paycheck to paycheck type of person, so I have to get creative with my ducks at the end of the pay period! I wish I could help more, but I have been fortunate to not have any predator problems at all (knock on wood). If you have any bricks laying around, maybe you could place them around the pen. You could also stake the pen down to help prevent a coon from sliding his paws under it.

Back
Top Bottom