I’m back but for a sad circumstance

Ducksandchickens

Free Ranging
Apr 24, 2018
North Western Ohio
Yes it’s me Ducksandchickens. Finally back after all those long months. I got a new phone, forgot my password, life happened and just remembered byc earlier today. Unfortunately I remembered it because of much needed help and support. If you remembered me on here then you probably remember me mentioning my two ducks. Unfortunately as of today there is only one.
I was looking out the window and saw only one duck and sprinted outside to find feathers and little bit of blood everywhere. I’m guessing raccoon or fox but probably coon. Also it’s partly my fault bc I took the poultry netting off a few weeks ago because it was in the way and we hadn’t seen any predators near our yard in forever. I feel horrible and responsible for my poor baby death. :(
First off my family is very low financially and it’s a pain getting them food when the ducks don’t even lay and food is expensive so let me start by saying no we don’t have the time or money to get more ducks now or aid him by buying a bijillion dollar Alcatraz mansion. If you want to stop now and tell me I’m a horrible duck mom for not helping then fine. Do it.
Right now carli (the living duck) is in his pen. I’ve wrapped chicken wire and poultry netting all over it and decided to give him a stuffed animal to be his new buddy. Here is the setup:
20137248-371E-4BF5-96DD-C1FC6FA0BBCB.jpeg
494EB8F5-0719-42F3-ABB4-93DBC96FC349.jpeg
38F5A090-CF72-4365-B50A-4260924A185B.jpeg
FD642AD6-D734-488C-844A-C728A3E6975E.jpeg

Any advice on having a not depressed drake? He doesn’t seem upset now but he will be. He was raised with pecky his entire life. The ducks are not the brightest and don’t sleep in the doghouse... instead they lay outside st the edge of the pen which is why pecky was probably killed. But I still think this was mostly my fault.

*WARNING. NO BLOOD BUT LOTS OF FEATHERS OBVIOUSLY A MURDER SCENE*

After moving the pen I took pictures. I know this won’t help I thought I’d share just Incase
FD710C44-1393-45C5-AB52-09F96EF50FDC.jpeg
3C0F2081-E988-4C96-96C7-BA49E1131BDF.jpeg

Any advice on helping my duck? Thanks

Sorry for your loss. for time being Just love and attention, he was most likely traumatized by the event, treats and attention. A friend had a lone mature drake for a year before they did find a hen of same breed that they could afford, for my friend who had him. maybe find a peace of recyclable board to put under the pen to keep something from reaching or digging under. if you have a garage or something put him in there as the animal will be back

Sorry for your loss. for time being Just love and attention, he was most likely traumatized by the event, treats and attention. A friend had a lone mature drake for a year before they did find a hen of same breed that they could afford, for my friend who had him. maybe find a peace of recyclable board to put under the pen to keep something from reaching or digging under. if you have a garage or something put him in there as the animal will be back
That is a good idea about the cardboard. I angled the netting too so it’s angled to the ground. Most likely he was killed then the animal climbed in but the little hole he must of squeezed through has been fixed

Also I forgot to mention we are going to get an outdoor radio and start playing that at night. We’ve done that before and it has kept things away. Is it useless to hang old cds for noise near there pen? I’ve heard it’s worked for some but useless for some

I keep a solar powered motion detection light up on each side of the chicken coop , as it only comes on if they get close after dark it seems to have helped, some people say it doesn't help but don't know what kind they were using either one that is always on after dark they get used to but one that comes on then goes back off when they go out of range has worked pretty good, got them cheap at the family dollar store almost 3 years ago

I’m so sorry for your loss! I had 2 get killed while they were locked in their house at night, and was left with one that I now keep inside. Definitely recommend a stuffed animal, my little one snuggles up with his when he’s in his bin. I honestly don’t see him as depressed at all, he loves bugging the dogs, cuddling on my lap and getting treats!

On another note, where did you get that pen you’re using?? I’ve been looking for that exact thing to keep on my deck for my duck to hang out in when I’m not out there. Is it transportable or broken down easily? I want something I can take to work with me too so the duck can come, but I like that it has a roof on it!

Back
Top Bottom