I’m getting a pig and need advice?

chickenmama109

Free Ranging
6 Years
Mar 5, 2017
texas
Hi! I’m about to get a outdoor pig and I need some advice? It’s a new born right know but when I get it can it go outside being so little? Also what do I feed it? Can you give me your tips that you use? Thanks? Also what is it like in a day of life with a pig?

Some advice I can give you-
Make sure the pig is up to date on all shots and wormed appropriate with age (a vet visit), and start harness training it early on if you wanna be able to take it places. Also make sure your pen is very secure. Pigs are expert diggers and can escape almost anywhere if the fence is not buried. I'm sure some others can give you more advice! Best luck with your baby.

I would do a lot of research before bringing a pig home. Is it for meat? Or as a pet?
If it's as a pet find a vet first. Pet pigs should probably be spayed and neutered or they won't make great pets. Miniature pigs(if they say they're gonna be anything less that 100+ lbs) are a scam. Pigs root and tear up a yard something awful. Make certain this is what you want before you get it.

Is it for a pet?
If so, send me an email and I'll send you the care sheet I give out.

And there are plenty of pigs that don't hit a hundred lbs, BUT, you have to see the parents, and preferably also the grandparents, and have a breeder that knows that not every pig in the litter will be small.

Whether for a pet or livestock (I raise both kinds), males should be nuetered by the breeder before you get him. Females should NOT be spayed, regardless of what you hear on pet forums online, because pigs often react badly (read, they die or develop lifelong issues) to anesthetics. You should never have hormonal issues unless you let her get obese.

Speaking of obese, it won't matter for a feeder pig, but pets and breeders should be kept trim. A pig is actually a pretty athletic animal. How they look when they're weaned is the body shape they should have for life. IMG_20200124_150612.jpg

These are two of my potbelly piglets - this is the same shape they should still have as adults. Rolls and a huge swaying belly are not normal - that's fat and it's just a bad for them as for you.
The solution is to feed them *all they want* of good green food, and take it easy on the starchy and fatty foods.

You can go to any livestock supply store and get "pig panels" and they're fantastic. You want at least 3 posts per panel. Provide shade - lots of shade - and a pig hut that is not too big, because a snug one filled with straw will keep them warm when it's cold. Rubber feed pans are also awesome.

Is it for a pet?
If so, send me an email and I'll send you the care sheet I give out.

And there are plenty of pigs that don't hit a hundred lbs, BUT, you have to see the parents, and preferably also the grandparents, and have a breeder that knows that not every pig in the litter will be small.

Whether for a pet or livestock (I raise both kinds), males should be nuetered by the breeder before you get him. Females should NOT be spayed, regardless of what you hear on pet forums online, because pigs often react badly (read, they die or develop lifelong issues) to anesthetics. You should never have hormonal issues unless you let her get obese.

Speaking of obese, it won't matter for a feeder pig, but pets and breeders should be kept trim. A pig is actually a pretty athletic animal. How they look when they're weaned is the body shape they should have for life.View attachment 2078360

These are two of my potbelly piglets - this is the same shape they should still have as adults. Rolls and a huge swaying belly are not normal - that's fat and it's just a bad for them as for you.
The solution is to feed them *all they want* of good green food, and take it easy on the starchy and fatty foods.

You can go to any livestock supply store and get "pig panels" and they're fantastic. You want at least 3 posts per panel. Provide shade - lots of shade - and a pig hut that is not too big, because a snug one filled with straw will keep them warm when it's cold. Rubber feed pans are also awesome.
Thank you so much!!

Back
Top Bottom