I’m new to the duck scene. Need some advice please.

Nice warm bath may help her relax enough to lay. Vaseline or ky in an around the vent. Putting her on a heat pad on lowest setting towel wrapped around the heat pad I’ve read can help. Okay do you have calcium gluconate? TSC carries it 1 ml orally should help her pass it calcium gluconate is the best stuff for getting an egg moving

NO! Don't leave her alone. If she's in distress then she needs help and I've got lots of experience with this! First of all, where are you??? I wish people would put their location on their profile but that's another subject!

If you can get to Tractor Supply go get some calcium gluconate. A big bottle is only about $8. I give 1ml to my duck when she gets that way and by the next morning, we have an egg. Usually a BIG egg!

So, that being said. I can tell you exactly how to do it so that she gets the full amount and I'm perfectly willing to do so. Please let me know and I'll be right on it to the point that I'll tell you where what arm should be put where!

On a positive note, I have had to do this many times with a couple of my runners but not lately. They seem to be doing very well. When they are not they look like they are literally going to die so please do this. I have put food coloring in the vent too just to make sure who is laying what egg and I can also help you with that!

@Jasonmstewart, can you go to Tractor Supply and get some calcium gluconate for cattle?
calcium.jpg

Since most ducks lay in the morning, it is possible that she has a stuck soft-shelled egg. If she were mine I would tube fluids to here, give calcium orally or subcutaneously (under the skin). Is she healthy enough to spend about an hour soaking in a tub of warm water, or is she still weak? If weak, I would not soak her, instead, I would fill the bathroom with steam (turn off extractor fans) and let her sit in the steam-filled room for several hours.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom