I’m new to the duck scene. Need some advice please.

Pics
When I say force feeding, I put put down her throat and make sure she swallows it. I’m afraid that I’m gonna have to tube feed her. The vet didn’t do an X-ray. She weighs 3lbs 1oz now.
Tubing is much easier and safer, but you must do fluids first. When a bird is cold and dehydrated its intestines shut down, so step one is to get them warm, and 80-85 degrees f is best. Step to get is to get fluids into them.

Can you take a video of her, upload it to YouTube or Vimeo, then copy and paste the link here? I would like to get an idea of how sick she looks.

Did your vet happen to do an x-ray while you were there?
Whenever we have had any of the ducks into the vet the first two things he checks are poop and xrays in case they somehow managed to eat anything they shouldn't have. Mostly metal...screws, nails etc. Any metal ingested will show up very bright on an x-ray.
Only asking because we had similar symptoms with one of our ducks who had eaten a screw.
I'm sorry she is sick and hope the antibiotics help.
Yes, baby bird food did help our Olive ( thanks to @DuckyDonna ) Tube feeding is not as hard as I had first thought it would be. I found a pretty good youtube video...let me try to find it...
Right! Tube feeding is not hard at all..and I recommend getting the catheter over the aquarium tubing, but both with work fine. You can easily see the tube go down into the crop...so you know you’re in the right spot...the worst part for me, was getting the food to the right consistency!!

I’ll take a video and post it. She’s almost constantly drinking. The vet that saw her seemed to be more concerned about getting to eat his lunch than seeing about my baby. He almost seemed bothered. He didn’t specify what they fed her. The did check her poop and said it was bad diarrhea. She has been snuggling up to all of us including the dogs. She is very affectionate and loves attention. She’s been staying in a dog kennel at night. We cleaned it real good before putting her in it. We also piled a few blankets in there. I tried the scrambled eggs and she wouldn’t eat them. I’m about to go get some baby bird food. I’ll post the video as soon as I get back. Thanks y’all for all the support. This is an amazing group of people and I really appreciate everyone’s concern for our baby.

While you're out getting baby bird food, get some aquarium air line (petsmart and petco sell both), then go to Tractor Supply and get a 60 ml syringe that fits the syringe. If you decide to tube, I strongly recommend fluids first. I know you're worried about the weight loss, and I know personally all to well the urge to tube food, but trust me, fluids first is better.

I am not a vet, but tubing advice comes from years of practice, instructions from veterinarians, and researching veterinary literature on proper supportive care techniques.

If you get the aquarium air line you will need to melt the end a little. Otherwise, the ends are too sharp and they could slice her mouth, esophagus, or crop.

I’m at pet smart now. I’m not seeing bird food for babies. Is it a dry food or what? I’ve got pedialyte already and will get the syringe and tubing

I’m at pet smart now. I’m not seeing bird food for babies. Is it a dry food or what? I’ve got pedialyte already and will get the syringe and tubing
It's powder and should be in the bird section.
kaytee_1.png
Kaytee_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom