I’m so proud and still nervous

Oldhenhens

Songster
Jan 18, 2021
Central Missouri
I’m so happy for my first ever hatched egg. I had so much difficulty with my incubator. This sweetheart hatched overnight on day 19! 🥰🥰🥰 My best guess is mama was Australorp and daddy was black Cochin. Both standards. The coloring is pretty close.
im still nervous. I have 5 more hen eggs and 8 guinea eggs still in the incubator and it is day 23. I know the Guinea eggs won’t lockdown for 3 more days. The chicken eggs aren’t showing any signs yet. No peeping. No pipping. I’m hoping they are just slower. I’ve read to be patient and it could be as long day 25. My little baby needs flock mates!!!!!!

Attachments

• F68D4C7A-CE6D-4211-B70B-5BB6BD2DF9EE.jpeg
    F68D4C7A-CE6D-4211-B70B-5BB6BD2DF9EE.jpeg
    704.1 KB · Views: 8
On day 26 and this morning I had 4 keets all at once over night. I could see them moving and hear them in the shell for several day. I threw out two guinea eggs and three chicken eggs that never developed. I’m still holding out with two more chicken eggs and two more guinea eggs. 🤞

Attachments

• 6946CFA2-6F04-489F-9840-F5A3CBD23850.jpeg
    6946CFA2-6F04-489F-9840-F5A3CBD23850.jpeg
    546.6 KB · Views: 3
I had a broody hen hatch some eggs and they hatched at 26 and 27 days! It killed me the entire time thinking that none were going to hatch. It's totally fine! I betcha you'll have loads of little peepers hanging around! Your gonna loose some it just happens so don't feel badly about it. I have 12 eggs and ended up with 5 hatching, two of those dieing within a day and one drowning itself at a month old. I was left with two and disappointment, but this happens so don't take it hard. The first hatch is ALWAYS the hardest ☺️👍 good luck!

I had a broody hen hatch some eggs and they hatched at 26 and 27 days! It killed me the entire time thinking that none were going to hatch. It's totally fine! I betcha you'll have loads of little peepers hanging around! Your gonna loose some it just happens so don't feel badly about it. I have 12 eggs and ended up with 5 hatching, two of those dieing within a day and one drowning itself at a month old. I was left with two and disappointment, but this happens so don't take it hard. The first hatch is ALWAYS the hardest ☺️👍 good luck!
Thank you!

On day 26 and this morning I had 4 keets all at once over night. I could see them moving and hear them in the shell for several day. I threw out two guinea eggs and three chicken eggs that never developed. I’m still holding out with two more chicken eggs and two more guinea eggs. 🤞
YAY!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I tossed 5 of my eggs last week. 2 guinea and 3 chicken. I candles them and saw nothing. I broke them and they were just a yolk.
I still have 2 chicken and 2 guinea eggs. I’m sure it’s a lost cause for the chicken eggs. I keep hoping to get one more guinea to hatch. I felt a crack like it was trying but no movement.
I bought a Brinsea incubator. This one is not user friendly and I don’t like the chicks hatching on the cradles.
On mine you take the cradle out and put the eggs on the bottom on day 18/lockdown. It may have affected your hatch rates if the eggs were still turning after lockdown. Is this your incubator or very similar?
20210423_202532.jpg

Very similar. The display is different maybe but the rest looks the same.
I was told by someone not to put the eggs on the bottom because the motor is in the base and gets too hot.
I tried to remove the cradles when I was setting it up but they seemed to be connected with a wire that I couldn’t find how to disconnect.
The seller said the chicks hatch on the cradle.
It was a stressful first hatch experience.
I completely agree that my hatch was probably compromised by the moving cradles. I thought they were supposed to stop automatically at lockdown but they didn’t.
Its all good. Now you learn and fix mistakes. My greatest advice is watch lots of youtube review videos before you buy an offbrand incubator. I learned how to use mine on YouTube. Good luck with your new chicks and future hatches!

That wire should have a plastic section on the cable meant to come undone for removal. I also went with a cheapo. It brought 1/3 of my eggs to hatch, but over half had a really rough shipping. I was micro-managing the whole time as well.

Back
Top Bottom