I’ve been doing my run completely wrong!

Read this

Pat’s Big Ol' Mud Page (fixing muddy runs):

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-fix-a-muddy-run-chicken-coop.47807/

Covering can help keep some water out, but rain or snow will blow in from the side. Covering can be part of the solution but it is usually not the complete answer.

Just throwing bedding in there is not a permanent solution, I don't care what bedding you use. Temporarily you can use bedding to give them a dry place to stand or toss in pallets or something for them and you to be above the mud. A good permanent fix for that is probably going to wait on dry weather.

For a permanent solution, you need to determine where the water is coming from and try to keep it out. That could be rain or snow from the open top or blowing in from the sides, if that is a low spot it could be draining from higher ground, the slope of the roofs could funnel water in there. The fix or fixes for that will depend on where the water is coming from.

A permanent solution also includes getting water out once it gets in. If it has somewhere to drain to, gravity will get it out. So does that have a lower spot to drain to? It's not that easy though. You probably have more clay than sand in that soil. Clay holds water, does not allow it to drain away. I see you are planning on a drain. Good.

If you dig the mud out all you have done is dig a bath tub that will hold water if it is in clay, even if you fill it with sand. I would not dig it out. Read Pat's article, she talks about this some. You need to build it up so it will drain. She suggests gravel with sand on top if you go that route. I'd use some type of round rock like river rock or pea gravel instead a crushed gravel. Crushed gravel can have sharp edges which might cut their feet when scratching.

When I built my ground level coop I hauled in a few inches of clay soil to build the coop floor level up above the outside level to keep water out. And I did a swale and berm system on the uphill side to keep rainwater runoff out of both coop and run. The run is on a bit of a rise so it drains fairly well and it is mostly covered but when the weather sets in wet for long it still gets muddy. My chickens can get up out of it and I dump bags of pea gravel in strategic places so I can get out there without sinking into the mud. I just live with some mud but it doesn't get that bad.

Good luck, mud is frustrating.
Thank you very much! They are helping me build a moat by scratching a th nek around the edges lol

I sloped mine towards the wet spot then put a piece of pipe covered in mesh so nothing can crawl in. The water seeps out and while it gets muddy in the spring its only a small part of the pen. It dries pretty fast now. I agree tossing bedding in only holds the wet. You could lay some boards until you get it draining. Best wishes I am sure you will get it figured out.

For a permanent solution, you need to determine where the water is coming from and try to keep it out.

This cannot be emphasized too strongly.

There are three main types of water problem:

First, heavy rain falling into the run (possibly exacerbated by rain running off the roof of the coop and nearby buildings. The solution to this is to roof the run and add gutters to the roofs to divert water away from the run.

Second, groundwater running through the run due to the natural drainage pattern of the area in question. The solution to this is French drain, diversion ditches, grass swales, building up the ground level of the run, and, if necessary, using heavy equipment to re-grade the land so that water flows around and out of the run.

Third, water pooling in the run because it is located in a low spot. The solution to this is to move the coop and run. Building up actual low ground -- as opposed to an area between drainage channels -- is unlikely to be satisfactory over the long term because that water will still collect there, just below the surface.

Adding sand might look cleaner than clay mud, but it's still just as soggy unless you have fixed the drainage. Additionally, sand doesn't compost together with the poop. People who use sand in their runs successfully generally live in dry climate where the sand acts to rapidly dry the poop so it doesn't stink. Wet sand plus poop REEKS.

Instead of sand, think dry, organic material -- coarse wood chips of the sort you can get from tree-trimming services being the longest-lasting.

Unlike sand, organic material plus chicken poop creates a composting environment that actually digests and neutralizes the poop.

IMO, a mix of different materials and textures such as wood chips, wood shavings, straw, pine straw, dry leaves, dry grass clippings, and whatever other material might be locally available, is superior to any single material because it is less likely to pack, mat and develop stinky anaerobic pockets -- that being a particular problem with straw when used alone.

Read this

Pat’s Big Ol' Mud Page (fixing muddy runs):

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-to-fix-a-muddy-run-chicken-coop.47807/

Covering can help keep some water out, but rain or snow will blow in from the side. Covering can be part of the solution but it is usually not the complete answer.

Just throwing bedding in there is not a permanent solution, I don't care what bedding you use. Temporarily you can use bedding to give them a dry place to stand or toss in pallets or something for them and you to be above the mud. A good permanent fix for that is probably going to wait on dry weather.

For a permanent solution, you need to determine where the water is coming from and try to keep it out. That could be rain or snow from the open top or blowing in from the sides, if that is a low spot it could be draining from higher ground, the slope of the roofs could funnel water in there. The fix or fixes for that will depend on where the water is coming from.

A permanent solution also includes getting water out once it gets in. If it has somewhere to drain to, gravity will get it out. So does that have a lower spot to drain to? It's not that easy though. You probably have more clay than sand in that soil. Clay holds water, does not allow it to drain away. I see you are planning on a drain. Good.

If you dig the mud out all you have done is dig a bath tub that will hold water if it is in clay, even if you fill it with sand. I would not dig it out. Read Pat's article, she talks about this some. You need to build it up so it will drain. She suggests gravel with sand on top if you go that route. I'd use some type of round rock like river rock or pea gravel instead a crushed gravel. Crushed gravel can have sharp edges which might cut their feet when scratching.

When I built my ground level coop I hauled in a few inches of clay soil to build the coop floor level up above the outside level to keep water out. And I did a swale and berm system on the uphill side to keep rainwater runoff out of both coop and run. The run is on a bit of a rise so it drains fairly well and it is mostly covered but when the weather sets in wet for long it still gets muddy. My chickens can get up out of it and I dump bags of pea gravel in strategic places so I can get out there without sinking into the mud. I just live with some mud but it doesn't get that bad.

Good luck, mud is frustrating.

Thank you!!!!!! This is my project once the swamp in my backyard dries a bit. Great information.

I agree with cmobley. We put up a large aviary for some of our birds and it stays dry year long. Metal roofing and high side walls so it gets sun and air make a huge difference.
20190714_160647.jpg

There’s lots of threads covering this topic over the past few weeks so I‘m sure you can find even more info and advice beyond the replies in this thread. I always recommend the coarse wood chips and the bonus is you can get them free from tree services or Chip Drop.

You don't have where you live in your avatar...
I would not do sand BUT I would dig out the dirt, make 1 foot wide trenches from the high side to the low side of the run and fill with sand -> lets water drain out.
But an inch layer of sand, layer of straw (not hay), then 4 inches of dirt. If you want to be special... at 3 inches of dirt toss cracked corn all over then put another 1-2 inches of dirt. This will give the girls some FUN !!

Also, cover 1/2 the run with either a thick tarp or wood/plastic boards. This is for shade and to cover from rain. Closest to the coop is better.
LOVE the use of the Metal pipes for run cover ;)
I'm having a similar issue. Could i dig a couple inches down along the inside perimeter of the run and fill w/ sand for drainage? so the inner is higher it would hopefully run down?

Metal roof and sand in the run. Drys fast soaks up poop and wetness they scratch it covers. I go in once a month with a rake and just give it a good deep raking. View attachment 2575208
Completely agree. I have sand and metal roof in my run, (Also have sand mixed with Sweet PDZ in my coop floor and on my poop board. Easy clean up.)

Back
Top Bottom