I accidentally chiped an egg on day 9

coolguy221822

Songster
6 Years
Apr 7, 2015
I was turning the eggs and somone called me. I reached to grab it and was talking to somone. Then my phone falls on one of the eggs. It made a dent and a small chip. Will it survive?

I did the same thing last week, except that the egg slipped and hit another egg. I candled them both. The dropped one had a dent but candled clear so no loss, the other didn't even have a crack but it was clear too.

Anyhow, check out some of the threads on shipped eggs. If it is just cracks you can try putting wax over the cracks, then you just have to make sure that it does not pip at the repair point.

Yep, just put some nail polish or candle wax over the damaged part and :fl
I've hatched eggs that have had a small chunk of shell missing, so it can be done (its just REALLY nerve wracking).

Good luck!

Yep, just put some nail polish or candle wax over the damaged part and :fl
I've hatched eggs that have had a small chunk of shell missing, so it can be done (its just REALLY nerve wracking).

Good luck!
should I put nail polish on the crack

Since there is membrane exposed, I would use wax instead of nail polish. But I would use wax instead of nail polish anyway. Another suggestion I have seen is liquid skin or liquid bandage. Some mention crayons as being usable. I used food grade paraffin wax (can find it with the canning supplies at Walmart or grocery store).

The paraffin wax has a lower melting temp than most waxes, less likely to cause a burn. That is why I chose to use it plus I had it on hand. Just a quick warning about it though that I learned the hard way. Inside an incubator at proper temperature the wax stays a bit pliable, but if the temp drops the wax will harden and stick to other things besides the egg. It peeled back part of the shell on mine last night because it stuck to the carton when I went to turn it, because the temp had dropped a couple of degrees.

I would be a bit concerned with the nail polish or liquid bandage causing a chemical burn on the membrane. However use whatever you can to get it patched as soon as possible. The longer the membrane is exposed the higher the risk of infection and the more moisture it will lose.

x2, I'd go for the wax also. I've melted birthday candles in a pinch. I've only used nail polish when that was the only option, and on very small cracks. You've got a pretty good dent there and wax would probably offer much better coverage anyway.

How is the egg doing?

Mine is still alive, on Day 25 of 28. So no more turning after today. Been really worried that it has lost too much fluid. Took a friend's advice and now have it inside a gallon ziploc, unsealed, with a wet sponge. Also put some bowls of rice in the incubator. The humidity gauge inside the bag is still climbing, it is between 80 & 85%. While the rest of the incubator has only climbed 1% to 51%. The room is reading 70%. Been running the incubator dry, and have had high humidity, it's air cell is huge compared to the rest of them (which I think are a bit small).

How is the egg doing?

Mine is still alive, on Day 25 of 28. So no more turning after today. [COLOR=333333]Been really worried that it has lost too much fluid. Took a friend's advice and now have it inside a gallon ziploc, unsealed, with a wet sponge. Also put some bowls of rice in the incubator. The humidity gauge inside the bag is still climbing, it is between 80 & 85%. While the rest of the incubator has only climbed 1% to 51%. The room is reading 70%. Been running the incubator dry, and have had high humidity, it's air cell is huge compared to the rest of them (which I think are a bit small).[/COLOR]
Day 17. Huge air cell. But other than than it is doing great. We put wax on it. 2 eggs died out of 9

Back
Top Bottom