I accidentally killed 8 chicks by heat bulb I can’t stand the guilt

Nina Nazza

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2021
So my father got 8 chicks, I cared for them so much. I fed them everyday and kept them warm, have them treats, and played with them everyday. I got attached to them they were so cute. Once they got sick with pasty bottoms I cleaned them every day. They were 2 weeks old now, until today came. The power circuit had a problem and they got cold, so I got them inside their box and closed it to keep what’s left of heat to warm them. Then without my notice the power circuit came and the bulb was too warm they died. I feel so guilty I can never get over it. I feel it’s my fault and I should have let them be. It breaks my heart so bad I can’t explain. Just thought speaking out here to people who understand..

:hugs Sorry for your loss, however it's an unfortunate accident. You were trying to conserve the heat, were your parents aware what was going on? You were fortunate that the a fire wasn't started. Not sure how you had the box set up but being that they were having pasty butt, it could be they were too warm. We all learn from our mistakes, lessons of life:hugs

So my father got 8 chicks, I cared for them so much. I fed them everyday and kept them warm, have them treats, and played with them everyday. I got attached to them they were so cute. Once they got sick with pasty bottoms I cleaned them every day. They were 2 weeks old now, until today came. The power circuit had a problem and they got cold, so I got them inside their box and closed it to keep what’s left of heat to warm them. Then without my notice the power circuit came and the bulb was too warm they died. I feel so guilty I can never get over it. I feel it’s my fault and I should have let them be. It breaks my heart so bad I can’t explain. Just thought speaking out here to people who understand..
Had you let them be and still died, you would probably still blame yourself. Don't beat yourself up...no good will come from it.

I feel so guilty I can never get over it. I feel it’s my fault and I should have let them be. It breaks my heart so bad I can’t explain. Just thought speaking out here to people who understand..
Dear Nina.. Please forgive yourself for this terrible and tragic accident and welcome to BYC! :hugs

You cannot be held liable for what you didn't know. The only thing you CAN do is ensure that this doesn't happen again.. ONE by learning from it so as to not repeat.. and TWO by sharing with us the possibility that some may never foresee thereby preventing even MORE chick death due to power outage in the future.. Your confession of sadness and grieving even remorse.. is a blessing to those who will embrace you and your very emotionally costly mistake. Maybe you can suggest in a PSA or on your signature line.. that if you shut it to retain heat be sure there are breathing holes and NO heat lamps inside in CASE power returns.. being a little cool and mad is POSSIBLY better than over heated..?? Take some sort of action to release that "guilt" energy.. maybe THIS thread is good enough, maybe you will write an article to post here, something that helps you process through the emotions and become whole and confident again. :fl

It's only by grace or luck that I have not done the SAME thing for a similar reason.. I just happened to catch the birds in time! I wasn't any better of a keeper than you. And I'm still no better. We are in this together and we WILL heal from this and overcome it together!

Once you've grieved enough, whatever that means for YOU.. Please consider bringing the Joy of new life back in and starting over. Don't let fear, sadness, despair, self blame, and doubt be the story this spring! :oops:

Maybe a jerk for mentioning.. but the cost of a "rent a coop" heat plate.. was covered in my first brood of chicks by the cost saved in electricity over the heat lamps and replacement bulbs from them burning out at the most inconvenient of time. The way they act under them is IMMENSELY different compared to heat lamps with way less fire hazard. I wish I had switched WAY sooner.

We have outages here fairly often.. we heat water on the bbq side burner and put into bottles or what have you, wrapped in a cloth.. to make our own heat packs.. they can snuggle up next to pretty well... I know this is for future reference..

I don't blame you. I forgive you, even though you don't need it. I'm deeply sorry for your loss. :hugs

Dear Nina.. Please forgive yourself for this terrible and tragic accident and welcome to BYC! :hugs

You cannot be held liable for what you didn't know. The only thing you CAN do is ensure that this doesn't happen again.. ONE by learning from it so as to not repeat.. and TWO by sharing with us the possibility that some may never foresee thereby preventing even MORE chick death due to power outage in the future.. Your confession of sadness and grieving even remorse.. is a blessing to those who will embrace you and your very emotionally costly mistake. Maybe you can suggest in a PSA or on your signature line.. that if you shut it to retain heat be sure there are breathing holes and NO heat lamps inside in CASE power returns.. being a little cool and mad is POSSIBLY better than over heated..?? Take some sort of action to release that "guilt" energy.. maybe THIS thread is good enough, maybe you will write an article to post here, something that helps you process through the emotions and become whole and confident again. :fl

It's only by grace or luck that I have not done the SAME thing for a similar reason.. I just happened to catch the birds in time! I wasn't any better of a keeper than you. And I'm still no better. We are in this together and we WILL heal from this and overcome it together!

Once you've grieved enough, whatever that means for YOU.. Please consider bringing the Joy of new life back in and starting over. Don't let fear, sadness, despair, self blame, and doubt be the story this spring! :oops:

Maybe a jerk for mentioning.. but the cost of a "rent a coop" heat plate.. was covered in my first brood of chicks by the cost saved in electricity over the heat lamps and replacement bulbs from them burning out at the most inconvenient of time. The way they act under them is IMMENSELY different compared to heat lamps with way less fire hazard. I wish I had switched WAY sooner.

We have outages here fairly often.. we heat water on the bbq side burner and put into bottles or what have you, wrapped in a cloth.. to make our own heat packs.. they can snuggle up next to pretty well... I know this is for future reference..

I don't blame you. I forgive you, even though you don't need it. I'm deeply sorry for your loss. :hugs
What Egg said.

This post made me genuinely feel better, I have learned from this mistake. Thank you for the effort you did in guiding me through such a situation and the very good advices you offered. Brilliant. ❤️❤️ I hope no one goes through what I’ve experienced because it’s pretty heartbreaking, and that everyone learned from this mistake. Peace and Love to the BYC community, happy to be part of it ❤️❤️:love

Back
Top Bottom