I adopted a handicap Duck!

They absolutely love flying and exploring. I've had to go to my local park to get mine a couple times after they molted and their wings grow back. I think if you don't have like a big pond and only have a kiddie pool, and want to play it safe, it would be a good idea to clip. Especially once you get another female, they will want to go explore together. It really depends on where you live and how attached the ducks are to you. 2 of my girls are very attached to me and I dont think they would ever fly off, but I clip them just in case, and because both of my neighbors have dogs.. My other girl named Puffin always flies off as soon as her feathers grow back doesn't matter how much food I give her here.

So I had a friend help me look at her hurt leg and it looks like at one point she broke it. But the lady I got her from said it’s been 8 weeks since she hurt it. So nobody knows how she hurt it. moving forward with her and her care, it’s obvious that she needs care and isn’t in very good health. She went for a swim and when she got out she was shivering because all of her feathers were wet. So she’s missing something nutritionally. What can I give her to eat, supplement or care I can give her now. And btw, she won’t eat the organic grains that I buy for my chickens! So I’m at a loss as to how to get her some protein and healthy stuff! Also my first duck! Thanks for any advice you can give! View attachment 2501701
Weird question, but do you happen to be in Florida? I swear this looks identical to one of the ones in a wild/free range flock that visits the area. She also has a messed up leg too.

Weird question, but do you happen to be in Florida? I swear this looks identical to one of the ones in a wild/free range flock that visits the area. She also has a messed up leg too.
This is very interesting. Ooo, I am excited to know!

Edit: Just looked at the OP's profile box and it looks like she is in Oregon. Would have been very interning if it was the same duck!

I am no help here really, but good for you taking her! We brought home some runners that were so impacted with dirt they could hardly breathe. They weren't real big on our duck feed or peas.. i kind of just left them to get used to it.. like a little with broccoli, or one of our adopted cats... get hungry enough they will try it. I think they are fussy sometimes, starting something entirely new gets them in the new groove. Mine now pike their food and peas, they even got my original flock eating mealworms.... never thought dead bugs would be so painful to my pocketbook.
Thank you!

You said her feathers were wet? It sounds like she has wet feather to me. I am not experienced in that area, but @Duck mommy 2019 @Isaac 0 and @Miss Lydia should be able to offer some insight! She is very cute! Do you only have one? You may want to get her another fiend, a female is best because a male will over mate her.
if she has wet feather you will want to let her bathe indoors until it can be fixed if you live in a cold area

Back
Top Bottom