I adopted a handicap Duck!

toniathequeen

Chirping
May 6, 2020
Salem, Oregon
So I had a friend help me look at her hurt leg and it looks like at one point she broke it. But the lady I got her from said it’s been 8 weeks since she hurt it. So nobody knows how she hurt it. moving forward with her and her care, it’s obvious that she needs care and isn’t in very good health. She went for a swim and when she got out she was shivering because all of her feathers were wet. So she’s missing something nutritionally. What can I give her to eat, supplement or care I can give her now. And btw, she won’t eat the organic grains that I buy for my chickens! So I’m at a loss as to how to get her some protein and healthy stuff! Also my first duck! Thanks for any advice you can give!
8B0BF601-F5CA-4587-92CE-BF38C0285DCC.jpeg

I would say just go to a local feed store and buy any feed that is duck specific or all flock, and it would be a great idea to try and find another female Muscovy duck to be her friend. She will do much better if she has a friend. Its awesome that you took her in!!!

I am no help here really, but good for you taking her! We brought home some runners that were so impacted with dirt they could hardly breathe. They weren't real big on our duck feed or peas.. i kind of just left them to get used to it.. like a little kid with broccoli, or one of our adopted cats... get hungry enough they will try it. I think they are fussy sometimes, starting something entirely new gets them in the new groove. Mine now like their food and peas, they even got my original flock eating mealworms.... never thought dead bugs would be so painful to my pocketbook.

Last edited:
I give my ducks layer feed (when they are laying, if they are not laying them they get meat bird feed) mixed with scratch.
You shouldn't mix the feed with scratch. Scratch takes away form the diet and really isn't that good for them in large amounts. They eventually wont eat food without it, and it overall does way more harm then good.

And btw, she won’t eat the organic grains that I buy for my chickens! So I’m at a loss as to how to get her some protein and healthy stuff!
I have heard that Mazuri waterfowl feed is the best, Purina flock raiser, or duck pellets is also great! Just see what you local TSC or feed store has available for duck food. Great job taking her in! That is so great! She is going to be much happier in your care!

For duck tips-
- Always make sure she has a tub or bucket of water that is at least deep enough to dip her fun head in. IMO, happy ducks, need a pond or pool to swim in. It isn't necessary, but they do need to be able to dip there whole head in the water.
- I can't think of anything else right toff the top of my head for some reason, but if you ache any questions do ask!

You said her feathers were wet? It sounds like she has wet feather to me. I am not experienced in that area, but @Duck mommy 2019 @Isaac 0 and @Miss Lydia should be able to offer some insight! She is very cute! Do you only have one? You may want to get her another fiend, a female is best because a male will over mate her.

Back
Top Bottom