I allways figgerd that birds as species were fragile animals..........

JimnJanet

Songster
11 Years
Jan 29, 2008
S.W Pa.
NOT !!!!!
Yesterday, this fella.....Gen. T'so.
CopyofPicture080.jpg

Flat out attacked my 4 y/o grandson. Hayden was walking thru the back yard towards one of our coops to get to me and the next thing i know i hear him screamin right behind me. I turned to see Hayden on his back on the ground just as Gen. T'so was about to come down from a jump with spurs aimed right at Hayden's face. I caught Gen. T'so in the air with kick that sent him sailin about 15 foot. I connected with that bird so hard that in my mind i was thinkin that bird is gonna hit the ground dead. It was an adrenalin kick because i saw Hayden in danger. Not only did i not kill that bird but i didn't even injure it. DANG !!!!
Hayden is a small feller for his age and GT is only 5 months old and luckily doesn't yet have any spurs to speak of.
Not 15 min. before this GT also attacked Hayden's 10 y/o sister and scratched her leg beside her knee. I was able to get to her and kick him away that time also but only gave him a forcefull "shove" with the side of my foot. These kids did nothing to provoke this bird.
And to think , jist last week i took my year old RIR roo and gave it to mangled because i didn't want it to get into a fight with GT and possibly hurt such a beautifull bird. Now i'm thinkin i made the wrong choice and should have kept Morgan,(the RIR roo).
I love my birds very much but i assure you that if there is a next time he will be soup !!!!! Or maybe rottie fodder.
I'm thinkin that maybe Araucanas are jist down right mean aggressive birds (?). I have watched mine kill each other and be very very mean to each other yet i never see any of this behaviour in my Orps or Wyandotts or Seebrights.
I was soo angry with GT last night that if i could have gotten him in my grips i jist may have stuck him in my Opossum cage.I would have regretted it tho.

Sounds like you got a mean little bird who sees the kids as other roos. Sometimes any breed can turn that way, but I've found my EE's to be pretty bad. They can be tough animals. I had a 3 lb leghorn think my boot was his mortal enemy and would come attack. One day I got him mid air when he was throwing himself at me with a metal pan. The pan made a huge gong sound and he was flung a good 10 feet away. Stood right up and came back for more!

He became soup.

Your rooster was protecting his territory. He saw your grandchildren as invaders.

There is a huge difference in a flat out mean rooster and one doing his job as programmed by nature.

You must think of your rooster as a bull or a stud horse but only in a smaller package. Lock him up when the grandchildren are around. You wouldn't let them alk through a pasture with breeding bulls or stud horses and the same precautions apply to roosters. They pack a huge punch in a small package. A well placed flogging can seriously injure a child - even cause fatal injury.

With that said I have no place for mean roosters here.

Roosters are like stallions or bulls, they respond to what they percieve as a threat, and that differs greatly from what humans consider a threat.

The rooster wasn't being mean, he was responding to an instinctual urge to protect his flock.

Maybe try letting the children hold him & feed him, so he doesn't see them as a threat.

EE's (like your roo) are a genetically mixed bag... you can never tell if the roos will be docile or aggressive.

Now I raise Araucanas... I have dozens of Araucana roosters running around my yard right now, and not a single one has ever attacked a person. My 2-year-old goes outside and hangs out with the chickens all the time.

Don't give up on your roo yet. He's young and feeling his hormones raging.
big_smile.png

In my limited experience I've found that all of my roos have gotten aggressive to various degrees when they reached their 'teens'...around 4+ mos and eventually calmed down as long as I made sure that they knew I was boss.
I have one....a late bloomer....Key West roo (looks like an OEG I think) who has gotten aggressive all of a sudden. My guys all live indoors in my birdroom. The roo last week jumped off the top of the flight cage onto my head and proceeded to pound it with his beak, like a woodpecker. It hurt like hell and in my shock I stood up suddenly (I was leaning over) and he flew across the room. I then went after him , still in pain and mad as hell, yelling. He stayed away from me. I'm pretty sure he thought he was protecting a hen's nesting place as I was looking for eggs behind the cage. My 8 yo grandson regularly goes in the room to get chickens to play with and this rooster always was ok until a couple weeks ago. Now he attacks my grandson if he just sees him thru the glass doors. And unfortunately, my grandson thought it was cool and was doing karate with the bird but not kicking hard enough to teach the bird a lesson. We spent so much time teaching the boy to be kind to animals that he can't bring himself to really kick it away so that it remembers. But if I go in with my grandson, Hemmingway the roo goes the other way. My other boys have behaved similarly at times and now are as sweet as can be. I am hopeful Hemmingway will be too.
The meanest roo I've had who never learned by being booted was a silkie roo who is on a farm now. He was too dumb to learn. <g>
But, keep small kids away until you know he's matured and learned to respect people and be with the kids while they hand out treats to him.
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom