1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I am a failure at chicken coops....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by namastemama, Dec 2, 2011.

1. namastemama

namastemama Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Ok I officially suck at building chicken coops. all three I have built have fallen apart, or left spaces or gaps for escaping chickens. I have tried a hoop thing, but couldn't figure out the door, a pallet chicken house collapsed, the a frame the chickens escaped from it, I am just a failure building a coop. I can't afford to buy one, so I need suggestions. Whats a cheap easy coop? I have a pile of wood and chicken wire in my yard ready to reuse.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  2. namastemama

namastemama Chillin' With My Peeps

No suggestions?

3. Mother_Hen2011

Mother_Hen2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    New Mexico
    I would help but I suck at building anything rofl
    but I will bump ya up!!

4. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    How many chickens do you have?

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    How about the "Building Chicken Coops for Dummies" book? It's in the BYC store.

6. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    I always like seeing ones made from kids plastic playhouses. they fit 3-4, if you cover over all the openings with 1/2" wire mesh.

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Easy?

I can get some pictures of mine, but it isn't fancy. [​IMG] It is sturdy and safe, and that's all that really matters [​IMG]

8. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Well, there are lots of places where you can download plans for chicken houses or books of plans available. We got plans for the 'big egg chicken tractor' coop at www.gardeneggs.com. Of all of our coops, the others we bought ready-made, this one is the best-ventilated yet the most completely dry inside after a storm. We made a couple of changes, hung nesting boxes inside. They are not made for a lot of chickens, but the design is solid.

Good luck.

9. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    Quote:Okay let me see if I can help you. Seperate out your wood to see what you have. Then st down to write /draw what you would like the coop to be. Then be logical about. Write down the measurements you want. PM me if you would like me to help with info.

Example say you want a coop that is 3 feet tall and 3 feet wide thus it would be squared.

So look at you least of wood do you have boards 2x4's or 2x6 such in that length or longer?

These would be your base (frame) that you would cut and put togetjer with long screws not nails.

Here is mine I'm working one it is not finished yet, the weather is holding me up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When we got more chickens we made the barn it is attached to a chicken run/coop as well [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by