I am a kid trying to convice his parents to have chickens! Please help!

Hello!

If I were to get chickens, I probably would not do anything like 4-H/FFA etc.

So I talked to my parents about what I can do to get them to say yes.

They said that the chicken themselves are not the problem, its the timing. There are a lot of big things going on now (whether or not to get another rental property, new job, house with more acres, etc). They said this stuff should be wrapped up by two months. Then we can decide whether to buy chickens at 15 weeks and own them during the winter, or get day-olds in the spring.

I will remain active on this site, it is pretty cool!

Lets keep this thread going! What type of chicken breed should I get? I am considering Buff Orpingtons.

Thanks!

You can get a mixed flock to add some variation. I personally don't have any buff orpingtons, but I really like Cochins and jersey giants. Wyandottes and barred rocks are cool too. Awesome that you can get some chickens in a couple of months!

You can get a mixed flock to add some variation. I personally don't have any buff orpingtons, but I really like Cochins and jersey giants. Wyandottes and barred rocks are cool too. Awesome that you can get some chickens in a couple of months!

Hello!

Yes, I am really excited! I was hoping to get a straight flock and breed chickens. I would like the chickens to pay for their costs, and selling eggs won't cut it. So I am going to sell chicks.
Thanks!

No problem. What else do u want to know?

Here is a question:

Should I use a feeder, or should I scatter the feed by hand (the good ole fashioned way...)

I like the feeder because of the reduced work load (I was told that for 5 chickens it needs to be filled every 4 days). But I don't want my chickens to overeat.

I use a feeder. I feel like it wastes less feed. It is definitely less work. The chickens won't overeat, they will eat until they are full. And how often you refill it depends on the size of your birds. If you had a smaller breed like a polish, you could go longer without filling it. But if you had jersey giants, it might not last as long.

Back
Top Bottom