I am a kid trying to convice his parents to have chickens! Please help!

Another thing you can do is get a job mowing lawns or something to make some cash to show your parents you are willing to help pay for your birds and there needs.
Thanks for the reply, I do have the cash to pay for it.
Sorry to hear that- I'm a teen too, and I had to convince my parents to let me get my birds. The one thing that I've found to work is making a presentation. Spend time researching chickens and collecting information in a notebook. Then turn it into some kind of presentation, wether it be on poster board or a PowerPoint- doesn't matter. Make sure you really know everything you need to give the birds a great life and to be prepared for any challenges along the way (trust me, there will be a lot). The information everyone has been giving you here on this thread is a great place to start. Good luck with your chicken venture!

I will try a presentation, Thanks for the advice!
Well you gave it a try, Try again in a few weeks maybe they will change there mind. Get good grades in school and use that as a incentive to get your birds.

Homeschooled, so it counts as school :)

Thanks for the help everyone, I will keep trying. Who Knows! Maybe they will change their minds!

I don't know if you are old enough to have a job, but using your own money to raise the birds should definitely work in your favor when convincing your parents. I have paid for everything my chickens have had so far, and that was one of the main reasons my parents decided to let me have them. Be careful if you do get chickens though, they open up the gates to all other kinds of livestock! I started with 3 harmless chickens, and now I have 9 chickens, 3 ducks, 2 barn cats, some quail, 4 turkeys, a sheep that I'm raising through FFA, and I raise my own meat birds (chickens, turkeys) every year! :D

It took me 2 years to convince my parents to let me get chickens. What really helped was to "bring them along on the ride". What I mean is whatever you learn, pass it on. Get them excited about them, make it seem possible to have them. And always, give your parents the utmost respect in their decisions, they're not going to want to change their minds if they don't like your behavior (from one teen to another). Research is your friend, the more you know about chickens the better. This site has been the best resource for me. Hope it goes well. :)

Mac is right. Respect for your parents is a big one. And be as helpful as you can too. If you see your parents vacuuming, doing dishes, etc, offer to do it for them. Also, if you have any chores you already do, make sure your parents never have to ask you to do them. It will all help to show your parents just how responsible and mature you are, and that you are ready to take on some of your own pets.

I agree with what everyone else said. Don't give up just because they said no:)

When I was a kid, I used to petsit and walk dogs. I walked the dogs every day of the week, for 1 hour, and I charged $20 an hour (people weren't afraid to spend their money on me:) ). I walked 4-5 dogs a day, so I made like $600 a week. I used it to buy new tack for my horse, but you can buy a nice coop with that kind of money.

Try to get good grades and don't get distracted.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I will NOT give up! Maybe in a month I'll be making a thread with my Chicken pics :)

Well since you can't join FFA, why not join 4-H? It is basically the same thing except for the fact that they may not have a facility to house your chickens. This was my first year in FFA and it is one of the most amazing experiences ever. It's a great opportunity to get out of the house and hang out with people while doing what you like to do at the same time. And make sure to let us know if and when you get some chickens of your own!

Back
Top Bottom