I am almost ready to give up!!!!!!!!!!'

Quote:
Mine too! My red sex links are so much more affectionate now that they are laying! I hear orpingtons are a very friendly breed. I also have 2 birds that are Brahma crossed with Silver laced Wyandotte (like your gold laced). They are a little more shy... my husband called them "chicken" the other day. They are sweet as can be, but they don't like to be held as much.

I have one that is a huge bully, just picking on all the other ones. She is a buff Orpington, but man is she relentless. I have to put them in the coop until the huge one is done, and while they love the coop, they still seem to get picked on by the buff! Arg!!!!!!

Quote:
All living things have a day-to-day crisis. We all would like everything to run smooth. Then…that would not be life and it would be called something else. We do the best we can…day-by-day and take it one thing at a time.

Having and taking care animals can be so rewarding. And… yes it has it heartaches. This makes us human and hopefully stronger and wiser…that is what life is all about. The more you persevere the more you learn.

Every day, the creatures we choose to take care of have NEW lessons to teach us. It is totally amazing.
frow.gif

tigger1976, I don't know the size of your coop, but soon you will know how many roosters you have. Before you make any decisions about anything, be sure you know how many will be in the coop once the roosters are gone.

Phillip,

You can seperate out the bully for a couple of days and give the others a rest from her. I have had to do this with one of my babies before. I put her in a large rubbermaid tub, with food water and bedding, but left her in the same room with the others. She could hear them but not pick on them. This will give the others time to adjust and establish a pecking order. When 2 or 3 days have passed put her back in with them and sit and watch. If she starts picking on them again put her back in the box for a couple more days. Repeat the process for as long as needed till she stops. Mine had to stay in confinment for almost a month. But now you would never know she was such a bully, and fits right in with the others. Also don't forget when passing out treats to give her some.
thumbsup.gif
Culling is not the only option you have. IMO it is one of the last resorts when all else fails. You will always have one that will be the boss, but picking on the others is not part of that job.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom