I am Brand new :)

Welcome from Northern California.
frow.gif
Make sure your coop has plenty of ventilation and is secure from predators. I think it's great that your grandkids get to grow up with chickens around. I lived on my grand parents farm in Oregon as a kid and the experience was priceless.

welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif
from California

Whatever you do, make it bigger than you think you need. You'll still have to add on, but just go bigger. LOL

I love my Marans and now my Welsummers. I also have Faverolles, Silkies, Penes, Barnevelders, Ameraucanas (lots of colors) and a few others. You have some nice Welsummer breeders in OK. Couldn't find the info when I was back in there in May for my dad's funeral or I would have picked some up on the way home.

GSD were the first breed I showed and bred. Have had different breeds the past 22 years, but a friend of our neighbor brought us a puppy when my husband died this summer. They thought we'd need protection in out nieghborhood and didn't know I had Cane Corsos. They had never heard them bark. LOL

Hey Deb, welcome to byc. I am in Eastern Kentucky. To get started, I guess you need some hatching eggs and an incubator, or you can order some eggs, or you can go to your local Tractor Supply Store and this time of year they usual stock up on baby chicks. I like silkie chicks myself. But if you get those, I would definitely get baby chicks. About the coop, well if your going to start with baby chicks or hatching eggs, you can use a tote for your chickies for about 3 months. Depending on how many you get, that will depend on how big a tote you get. During the tote growing out stage you can build your coop. Some chickens like to roost, others like silkies usually do not. There is a great chicken breed article with photos here on BYC that tells you all about each breed, etc., Plus there are tons of helpful folks here, including myself that will answer your questions and try to help you out. Again, welcome.

Goood morning! I am up with the chickennns, if only in my dreams...
smile.png

Is there someone that I can email a pic of the chicken of my dreams since I am not able to post a pic yet???? This was a chicken that I saw at Colonial Jamestown settlement....
big_smile.png

No, I have no idea what kind it is....but I took good photos and I have them posted on my flickr photostream...is there any way for me to share, yet(I know I am a NEW chick on this site still:)
It was LOVE at first sight when I saw this chicken...i took many photos ....
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom