I am confused about Frizzles?

delsi64

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Riverton
Is Frizzles a pure breed, hybrid or what? If I want a frizzle chick what type of chicken or chickens do I need to breed? Can a frizzle rooster and a frizzle hen produce a frizzle chick? Will all of the chicks be frizzles? Thanks! I made a mistake the first time with another breed because I wanted golden sex-link chicks so I bought a golden sex-link hen and rooster. I want to be educated this time. Thanks again!

Is Frizzles a pure breed, hybrid or what? Normally when I think of frizzle, it's a cochin with frizzle feathers. I know they make some other breeds with frizzle feathers now, too.

If I want a frizzle chick what type of chicken or chickens do I need to breed? See above. Again, it just depends. They have frizzled silkies, polish, etc. as well.

Can a frizzle rooster and a frizzle hen produce a frizzle chick? NOT a good idea. Frizzle to frizzle can produce babies whose feathers do not grow correctly and they can/may end up bald and will issues.

Will all of the chicks be frizzles? Not positive on this one.

I don't particularly care for frizzles so am by no means an expert. Just sharing the little bit that I do know of them. (I do love the polish frizzles, though!)

Frizzle is more a variety than anything else, although strictly speaking it is not that either. It can and does occur in all breeds, and is recognised for all breeds.

It is indeed a poor idea to breed frizzle to frizzle unless you are willing to maintain the overly frizzled curlies. The one good thing about curlies is that they will produce 100% frizzled chicks.

What I would ask is what your ultimate goal is?

i have a few frizzles. You really shouldn't breed frizzle to frizzle. They produce inferior stock and it brings up the whole responsible breeding issue. Frizzles that are bred to frizzles tend to be bald, and die young. Just goes to show inferior genetics.
Frizzle is considered a variety but the ABA has recognized them as an actual breed. Just like humans with curly hair, it is a curly feather gene and any chicken bred to a frizzle can get frizzle feathers but not necsassarily all do. In general when talking about a frizzle, it is a cochin. It is feather legged, yellow skinned and very round in shape. My frizzles are very' SPAZZY!

As I understand it, "frizzle" is a single gene that could theoretically be introduced into any breed. Of course, some breed descriptions allow for certain traits and some don't. We just jointed the ABA, so I'm not certain how such things are decided exactly.

To address your question, "is it a variety?" It certainly could be viewed that way. In my experience with growing plants and animals, a "variety" is anything that makes a certain group distinct. It can be a group of several traits or just one. Most often a particular color, but it can be leaf or feather shape, or anything else, but usually something that makes people desire it more.

Depends where you are... in UK, Aus, NZ, frizzle is a breed on their own, clean leg, single comb heavy breed....

but, a frizzle can also be a sub variety of any available breed.

Frizzle is a simple dominant autosomal gene... you need one copy of it to show it's effect on the offsprings.

By variety, I meant the defined standards: blue, bbr, wheaten, buff columbian, etc. Frizzle is not defined as a variety. It is however recognised for every breed by both the ABA & APA. Birds are judged within their variety and class regardless of whether they are frizzled or not.

If a frizzle meet is held, they are also judged against frizzles of other breeds; something of a show within a show.

Back
Top Bottom