I AM Crazy!*UPDATE* PICS!!! Welcome Home Draco!!!!

I said nothing about you not 'qualifying'. If your fence is not approved by a rescue, there must be some way the fence violates their rules. You can try another rescue and see what their rules are. If you're having trouble with EVERY SINGLE RESCUE THERE IS, then you have to change something.

But what happened to you, that sort of horrible tragedy, this is why books and articles often say to already have an emergency vet lined up if you have a dog breed that tends to bloat, and to always have cash on hand with the surgery amount, as an emergency fund ready, and if you can't keep that aside, to be prepared to have the animal euthenized to save it from suffering.

The clinc you went to, wasn't prepared to do the surgery, and the only option they had was to call in someone from somewhere else, and that person charged 2-3X the usual rate (unless your dog's surgery was not the usual surgery).

When we had our breed that tended to bloat, I had a surgeon's number posted, at an emergency clinic that was 15 min away, and that had 24 hour service. I kept simethicone and 600 dollars in cash in a drawer, that was our 'bloat kit'. That's what the surgeon told me it would cost back then, and he told me to always have simethicone within reach whenever the dog started to show symptoms.

We have to get all this worked out ahead of time - what it would cost, and who can do it who is near enough to where we are, and when they are available, and what to give the dog while rushing him to the hospital.

My one friend located a bloat surgeon where she was going, every time she traveled anywhere with the dogs. She didn't really get a sitter very often. She didn't trust a sitter to recognize the symptoms of bloat and respond quickly enough.

When we had two of the breed, I kept 1200 dollars in cash, in the drawer. It was awful to not use that money for things I really needed, but that is what I did. Before I got the dog, I just put part of my paycheck in the drawer every week for a while.

A veterinary practice is a business and can't be expected to provide free care for our dogs, not even for payment promised in a few hours. We have to be prepared, super prepared, super OVER prepared, or we might be put in a horrible, horrible situation. Like you found yourself.

What happened to you was horrible. Hopefully others can avoid such a tragedy from listening to your story.

I am so sorry for the loss of Barley. It brings back the memory of losing my Berber Bear. Miss Berber was a chow mixed with maybe Newfoundland. She was rather small for either breed, so I never really worried about bloat with her. I have worried about the two Komondork getting it, but not my smaller mixed girl. It was at about 11:00 pm when she came to me, and it was like she told me that she was very sick. I started yelling at my DH to get up and get us to the vets, but by the time we got there and into the clinic I could see that was that she was already brain dead. The vet was excited that he knew that is was bloat. They would have started surgery right then, but I knew that it was too late. We were just wasn't able to get her to the vet fast enough. I did have them euthanize her. I am very grateful to have been with her in that last moment. Her heart stopped within seconds of being given the shot.

I was in shock afterwards. I still cry when I think of her passing. Berber was the best dog we have ever lived with. She had even saved our lives one night. Our older Komondor had managed to turn on the gas range without lighting it. The natural gas was simply flowing into the kitchen/family room. Across the room was a lit pilot light on the gas fireplace. Had Miss Berber not made sure that I woke up at 2am and made me check out things, we would have possibly died in the explosion and fire that night.

I too have met more than a number of rescue people that seem to have mental health issues. I often wonder if some of these people have problems with border line animal hoarding. I also have been left wondering why they even bother listing a dog on Pet Finder. The best thing that I could think of was maybe it was their way of bragging about the dog that they have just adopted. Then on the flip side maybe they are just looking for donations to help offset the cost of owning too many dogs or cats. I always hope that people’s reasons for being part of rescue are for all the right reasons, but I know that more than a few are convinced that no one beside themselves are qualified to own a pet, that they themselves have rescued.

I have done rescue. I do the best I can to find a great home with any animal that I place, but at some point a person must accept that life doesn't come with any guarantees, and all that you can do is know that there are other places that do rescue and that the new owner is now responsible for the life of their pet. I also offer to accept any animal back without reason. To date I have not had anyone bring back their pet.

GREAT NEWS EVERYONE!!!!

The foster mom of the dog in Jacksonville found me through Craigslist and she is going to adopt the dog for me! We spent ALOT of time talking and discussing this on the phone and even she seems to think that this rescue is not quite legit. After much discussion we found out they had lied to BOTH of us on numerous occasions. They lied to me about the dogs age and having been previously adopted out and the name change, the lied to her about the people applying to adopt the dog and about the dogs health condition, and they constantly deny her requests to come and see the facility and very rarely ever return her phone calls. She believes this woman running the place is a possible hoarder.

So long story short, I go get him on Tuesday!!!

hugs.gif
ya.gif
clap.gif

That's great that you are getting the dog. Both my mom and I (on different occasions) have dealt with so called rescues. It really seem they do not want to adopt out their animals. One place had every excuse why my mom could not get a scottie from them. Even contradicting themselves more then once. A lot of them see to have a holier than thou attitude. The one rescue asked what our last dog(a scottie) died from, my mom said cancer. The woman says "Why did you let your dog get cancer?!" I don't get it. But at least you are going to have a happy ending.

He came home yesterday!!!!

And he's such a wonderful dog! So loving and playful! I was sooooooo nervous that there would be something about him that wasn't right or wouldn't work, but hes just perfect! Little rough around the edges and needs some basic obedience but otherwise has the most awesome personality!!!!

Now he needs a new name!

Back
Top Bottom