I am FURIOUS!

I talked to the Labor Board. What they are doing is perfectly legal "as a company needs a start time for each date" They only way I would get hours for a double is if I work 16 hrs (2 pm to 6 am) and then return to work 8 hours later at 2 pm. That shift would then count as a double. What makes me mad is that for 4 years we have always been paid for working 16 hrs straight through regardless of which shifts they were.. I feel this is very unfair to the pm shift. It is usually noc shift that calls off and the pm shift is the one who has to do the most 16 hr shifts. They only way to get double time pay is with this scenario: I come to work on Monday. I clock in at 2 pm and end having to stay until 6 am Tues, IF I am scheduled to work on Tues, my double time shift will start at 2 pm Tues when I clock in. If I do not work any hours after 6 am on Tues then the previous 16 hours I just worked are paid at straight time. This is unfair in my eyes. If I started work at 6 am or 10 pm and worked 16 hrs straight it would automatically be a double every time. It should be 16 hours is 16 hours, a double is a double. I was very nice about the show up time pay thing. I just informed them of it and apparently threw the entire company into an uproar as they thought I was going to sue for back pay. I am now reconsidering filing for back pay on the show up time pay deal. I went to 4-5 meeting a month for over 3 years and was only paid for the actual time of the meeting, which at times were literally only 15 minutes long. Since I brought this little rule to their attention we only have one meeting a month now and they last 2-3 hrs. Rough estimation they owe mo ove2 120 hrs of back pay for unpaid show up time pay.

I'm not sure I followed all that but it doesn't seem like it should make any difference if your shift goes through midnight or noon. When I worked hourly we got paid overtime for anything in excess of eight hours. I can kind of see their point if you come in at 2.00 pm, work 16 hours and then don't come back to work again at 2.00 p.m.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of work are you doing? I've never had a job that anyone could work at efficiently for 16 straight hours.

Quote:
Quote:
Nursing (LVN). As a nurse it is patient abandonment to leave your patients if your relief doesn't show up. It's easier for management to make you stay for 16 hours than try to find somebody to come in at 10:00 at night.
Work day runs from 10 pm to 10 pm, work week runs from Sun to Sat, Pay period runs 1-15th, 16 thru last day of month.
So If I clock in at 2 pm on Dec 13 the hours go on Dec 13th, If I clock in on Dec 13th at 10 pm the hours go on Dec 14th, noc shift is considered the first shift of the day. The scary part is driving home. Most of the time you don't find out you are working a double on the pm shift until 10 pm. So a lot of the time I am driving home I have been awake for 24 hrs. Who wants to ride shotgun with me? Oh come guys, live a little!

Quote:
Quote:
Nursing (LVN). As a nurse it is patient abandonment to leave your patients if your relief doesn't show up. It's easier for management to make you stay for 16 hours than try to find somebody to come in at 10:00 at night.
Work day runs from 10 pm to 10 pm, work week runs from Sun to Sat, Pay period runs 1-15th, 16 thru last day of month.
So If I clock in at 2 pm on Dec 13 the hours go on Dec 13th, If I clock in on Dec 13th at 10 pm the hours go on Dec 14th, noc shift is considered the first shift of the day. The scary part is driving home. Most of the time you don't find out you are working a double on the pm shift until 10 pm. So a lot of the time I am driving home I have been awake for 24 hrs. Who wants to ride shotgun with me? Oh come guys, live a little!

That is just rediculous. So sorry you have to go through that.

I think I am so mad because we have always been double shift rates if we worked 16hrs straight, no matter when it started or ended. This is a new way of calculating pay and unfortunately it only affects the pm shifts doubles. I feel this is discriminatory against the pm shift. It's bad enough to have to work 16 hrs, but to work 16 hrs and not get the same compensation as the other shifts? I am thinking they are going to have a mutiny on their hands.

Wow that stinks. No advice here just hope things get better for ya.
hugs.gif

Quote:
That's funny, there was a fax saying that as of now 40% of the employees are in favor of a union and that we would be getting more info later. I go the very strong feeling I wasn't supposed to see that fax. It has since disappeared.

Quote:
That's funny, there was a fax saying that as of now 40% of the employees are in favor of a union and that we would be getting more info later. I go the very strong feeling I wasn't supposed to see that fax. It has since disappeared.

But they said on the news tonite that it is rumored that Jimmy Hoffa's body in under the GM headquarters in Detroit. Hubby worked in Chicago at GM when Hoffa went missing, but he said that was the same time he quit eating hamburger, because you never know who is in it. Sorry to go off track, just a thought.

Quote:

But they said on the news tonite that it is rumored that Jimmy Hoffa's body in under the GM headquarters in Detroit. Hubby worked in Chicago at GM when Hoffa went missing, but he said that was the same time he quit eating hamburger, because you never know who is in it. Sorry to go off track, just a thought.

Finally! Somebody made me laugh!
yuckyuck.gif

Back
Top Bottom