I am FURIOUS!

Hmmm... The labor board really said it was ok? I know my work is set up differently. Most of us have 8-10 hour shifts and once we reach 40 hours within our pay week everything after that is overtime and pay an a half. But we have to reach 40 first so it doesnt matter if we work 16 hours one day and 8 the next.

I hope it works out for you.

And thought Hoffa was suppose to be under some football stadium?

I was forced out of my job three years ago and have not worked since. Count your blessings if you have a job. I have family that does not. I used to post articles near my work station of job loss and places that closed. I bet someone from Sears or Kmart would be glad to have your job.

This will pass and things will get better.

Rancher

I used to manage a 24/7 group of 45 employees in a hospital. Shifts were 7-3, 3-11, 11-7. If you worked a double and were over the 40 hours you got double time. Where I worked we also had shift differientials, so 3-11 got 1.00 more per hour, and 11-7 got 1.50 per hour. In order for the time system to auto-calculate the differientals you had to clock out and back in, (I wont even go into the HOliday and weekend differientals) otherwise it was a nightmare. In order to avoid the whole showing up for meeting thing, as the manager, I scheduled 2 meetings, one at 7 am and the other at 3. I got 11-7 and half of 7-3 in the mornings, and the other half plus 3-11 at the 3:00 meeting. It sounds like you have some lazy management who dont want to have more than one meeting when they are necessary. On top of that by choosing such an odd time for the "start of the day" they have figured out how to screw you over.

Unfortunately we live in a society with many people who are jobless, and the ones that remain have to do the jobs for 3-4 people. I don’t think the OP is ungrateful at all. We are all human beings and this notion of working your behind off, or (in my case) get more and more responsibilities with less and less pay and more and more pressure, is not ideal either. Working 16hr shifts and not getting paid OT is a bit harsh and quite honestly, I would worry about how alert and awake a nurse would be if that person had worked for so many hours already. It may come with the job, I don’t know, but I do feel bad for the OP.

I have been looking for a job with lesser hours and lesser pay for a while, to get some of my own sanity back. So far, despite high unemployment rates around here, nobody is standing in line to take over my job if and when I leave. They see what I do for what pay and for how many hours - they lose interest very, very fast.

Quote:
I agree. We do NOT get shift differentials. If I worked the a.m. shift instead of the p.m. shift i would always get the double time pay every time i worked 16 hrs. I think it should be 16 hrs on the clock = double shift. None of the BS of playing with dates and punch times to weasel out of it. 16 hrs straight through is 16 hrs straight through. If I was a vindictive person I could file for the show up time pay. That would be 1.5 hrs pay x 3 to 5 times a month x almost 4 years! On the low end $367.00 on the high end $612. But the bad thing is if I do it, then several other people would also do it. All it takes is 2 people with the same complaint. Then the labor board comes in and goes through ALL of the employee time sheets and makes them back pay ALL of the employees who went to the meetings. That would be close to 100 people who work the noc shift. I really don't want my name attached to that kind of uproar! I am just glad that now the meetings are only once a month now and they last 2-3 hours. I made a bit of an uproar when I informed them of the show up time pay thing. I was told in a really nasty tone of voice "we'll run it by the lawyers". It turns out I was right and for several months they were afraid I was going to file with the Labor Board. I think they should have just back paid me with out me going to the LB. But it never happened. So much for doing the right thing!

I'm glad my place doesn't pull crap like that. Our cutoff day is Saturday/Sunday. If you work Sat night into a Sunday day shift, that is the only dividing line allowed... the Sunday work day starts a new week. Anything over 40 is overtime, period, unless we are on a voluntary 12 hour flex schedule...

I'd look for another job...sounds like that place really sucks and doesnt care about employees at all.
I'm also a rebel rouser:p, I'd be running.my mouth to all my coworkers and get them riled up too...
If enough people band together they may have to listen to you all.

It sounds like you're on the fast track to getting burnt out. Hopefully being in a medical profession gives you the advantage if you start looking for a new job (carefully). It really seems like a patient safety issues to have people working for such long shifts, and you should be compensated for your work. Most places hospitals I know of count overtime as being past the amount of scheduled hours in a shift. So if you work a 12 but have to stay on for 16, you get four hours overtime. And people who chronically have to work overtime usually puts up some red flags that something is wrong and a solution is needed so people don't get burnt out.

I hate to hear stuff like this. I know there are many who are jobless but injustice is injustice and this is not right. If everyone just put up with it what kind of a country would we become? Fight the power and get what you darn well deserve!!! You won't be just doing it for you but for all of us. Employers need to treat their employees right and not feel like they can do whatever they want just because times are bad.

I have been retired for about seven years, but I doubt that the Fair Labor Standards Act has changed much. We used to pay overtime only after an employee had actually worked more than 40 hours in a pay period. If there were holidays off, sick time taken or annual leave taken. jury duty, military drill or any other off setting factor, no overtime was paid until 40 hours were actually worked.

Management would send people home a half hour or an hour early every day to offset previous overtime in the week. We had to make sure that the employee did not incur overtime. What ever was required to make sure only a 40 hour work week was paid was the goal. All overtime had to be pre approved and authorized.

No shift differential, retention stipend or hazardous duty was paid on those non work hours.

At one time, the agency required staff to come in fifteen minutes early for a briefing. This was unpaid time. Someone sued, and the agency had to pay a multi million dollar settlement. Would you believe that a couple of years later, someone re instituted the required fifteen minute unpaid briefing.

Again the agency was sued. Stupid is making the same mistake twice. I believe both times the legislature had to come up with relief bills to bail out the agency.

When money for performance raises was approved, the agency was given a certain percentage of the personal service budget. It was up the the agency how to allocate these funds. Supervisors were required to write down employees on their ratings so that the funds would be available for the big shots' raises.

Overall percentage raises were just as bad. If all employees get a two per cent raise. the grunts get a loaf of bread, but the big shots get a new car.

Needless to say, the agency had terrible turn over. Most employees did not stay a year, so we ended up collecting back their signing bonuses. As a result, a good may of the positions were vacate. Management loved vacancy savings. That money could be used for their "special performance awards."

If you make an issue out this, be prepared for some retaliation. Something will come up missing, misfiled, lost and you will be to blame. When management has a problem employee, they usually put one or two other employees to keeping book on them. They write down when the problem employee comes in, when they come and go to lunch and breaks, how long they are in the toilet etc.

Watch what you say. Don't say anything that could be misconstrued, because it will be.

Good luck,

Rufus

Back
Top Bottom