I am getting chicks tomorrow and I have a few questions

Geminithehen

Hatching
May 17, 2022
Question one: I am getting some 2 weeks old and some one month old chicks, do they need the same heat lamp temperature or different ones?
Question two: When are they old enough to start to meet my other adult hens?
Question three: how old do they need to be to start living outside?

Thanks!

Question one: I am getting some 2 weeks old and some one month old chicks, do they need the same heat lamp temperature or different ones?
I would have a large brooder box with a warmer end and a cooler end.
Question two: When are they old enough to start to meet my other adult hens?
Depending on method, anywhere from 1 day to 6 weeks.
Question three: how old do they need to be to start living outside?
It depends on your climate/weather, and if they have supplemental heat, or if a broody can take care of them. With no broody/supplemental heat, I would say 4 weeks if it’s around 40-60 degrees at night.

WELCOME!
Welcome to the community!
  1. They should need different temps in the brooder, but I'm sure if you make sure there's space away from the heat lamp for the older chicks to get out of the heat you should be fine.
  2. When they are around half your hen's size they should be ready. You can introduce them sooner through a fence or cage. Keep them supervised
  3. For me, anywhere between 7-10 weeks. They need to be large and fully feathered, and integrated properly.
BYC is a great place; full of information, helpful members, and fun!
If you ever need any help navigating around here or you just wanna chat, drop me a PM or a message on my profile! And if you need any advice, come find me here
:welcome

1) They'd be on different temperatures. Healthy 2 week olds could maybe be down to the 70s (F) or so, without heat, provided they have a draft free place to huddle in? 4 week olds, if weaned off heat, could handle being without heat in the 40s.

2) Technically, immediately. Best way to integrate new birds of any age is to do a see but no touch set up, so they can see each other with the safety of a wire mesh fence between them, and get used to each other. I do a very early integration by raising the chicks outdoors so they grow up in sight of the hens, with the goal of having them all safely living together by around 4 weeks: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/

That said, depending on where you sourced these chicks from, you may want to consider biological quarantine: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...nderestimated-part-of-raising-chickens.67097/

3) Technically, immediately, as long as you can provide a heat source, protection from drafts/the elements, and predator protection.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom