I am getting Goats! Help!

Years ago out of the blue a friend gave my two small daughters a goat, a white angora cross. She was weaned, which was a plus. However we had no quarters for her yard for her. We did have a small lean to off the garage with a small stall so that worked fine. But while we put up goat proof fencing (which took awhile, my former husband wasn't know for being highly motivated) she shared the fenced yard (4 ft chain link) with our dog. They loved each other, napped in the dog house together, and generally had a great time.

Eventually of course Rosie had to test the fence, but she never ran off, she would go sit at the front door. (She was not happy that her friend got to come in the house and she wasn't!) The only way to get her back to the yard was to walk her through the house and she had to look in every room before proceeding out the back door into the yard. This would satisify her for about a week and then it was time for a visit again. Our neighbors got the biggest kick out of seeing her sitting on our front porch as they passed. (We lived in a very small town in Missouri)

Unfortunately Scruffy also learned to climb the fence and would run off, which led to a couple of warnings from animal control. Rosie was with us a year, until we moved and our girls, then in 1st and 2nd grade adored her. She acutally would play tag and hide and seek with them. Truthfully I don't think there was anyone that met her that didn't like her, she was sweet and enjoyed meeting new people and had fairly good manners for a goat.

One thing I will caution you about that we didn't know about, was that if you keep a goat on land where horses have been you need to have them vacinnated against tetanus as the goats can contract it through the soil and it will kill them. That is sadly what happened to Rosie in her new home. She was given to a friends sister, who had a bunch of goats and some horses, she never though to vaccinate and shortly after she had her twins she died. Broke all our hearts.

Good luck, goats are awesome and I wish I was able to have a couple where we are moving (I'll have to research that a bit, since the ordinance I found is a bit confusing in that area.)

I am so excited! I bought the Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats yesterday. I have read 2 chapters since. (I'm a slow reader
roll.png
) If I get some goats I will definatly keep ya'll updated!

Back
Top Bottom