I am Going to get my chickens heathly again! lethargic, some diarrhea/ dirty vent area, she slept o

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Quiltslikecrazy, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Quiltslikecrazy

Quiltslikecrazy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2012
    Hi everyone,

I am pretty new to chicken keeping and have 10 Birds. One has been lethargic, some diarrhea/ dirty vent area, she slept on the floor yesterday,was breathing through mouth, and not eating much. I looked her over well and she has mites and possible vent gleet! Now that I am really examining they others some have crusty skin things around the vent and all have some degree of poop in there vent feathers. [​IMG]

QLC

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    N.H. , 3 Years, a little lighter but she has always been smaller.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Lethargic, Poo in Vent area, Bald Butt, Not eating much, Breathing through mouth, not going after treats.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    Getting worse over a week
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No but I have seen Mites and crusty skin around vent
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    Our neighbour throughs out old food and somtimes the chickens get out of the fence and are able to eat it.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Free ranging, Layer pellets, and somtimes old food from our neighbours. =(
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Very runny I have not seen any Blood or Worms.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    None.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    Treat at home.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    No But I can get one if helpful.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Norm. wooden coop/ Run with hardware cloth and windows. They free range almost everyday. With hay in run and pine shavings in coop.

I was going to add I don't think she is laying but I have 4 brown egg layers so she might!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  2. Quiltslikecrazy

Jan 25, 2012
  3. TortillaChile

TortillaChile New Egg

Mar 7, 2013
    Brazos Co., TX
    I'm not sure how well it will work, given their other symptoms, but for the dirty vent, I found this link a while back: http://hencam.com/faq/Yuck-My-Chickens-Have-Messy-Bottoms/

However, my hen who had what I thought was vent gleet I treated via those instructions, but we a couple weeks later we found dead in the yard. Who knows what else she had, though. I certainly don't think it could hurt to clean them up and douse them with a little of this, though! It's a good bactericide!

Hope that helps. Good luck with your ladies.

4. Quiltslikecrazy

Jan 25, 2012
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by