I am going to MURDER

ChelleEnchanted

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
Ohio
this fox.

It simply does not go away.
It can't get into the chicken pen, and i catch it early mornings just pacing and staring them down.

These are my last 5 chickens, and i've taken extra measures to protect them.
I completely wired off the top of the pen, and double wrapped the fence, burying the second row about 3 feet in the ground.

He's making me so mad.
He doesn't even run when he sees me coming until i get close.

I found his hole today after following a trail of feathers from the last chicken he killed.

I filled that sucker in and stomped on it, packing all the dirt down.
Teach him to come after my children!

I don't think he is going to go away. He knows where he got a few good meals, so he'll keep coming until he get's the rest of them.

I think the only way to make him gone it to eliminate him.

If it were me, I'd be fine with him as long as he couldn't get the chickens. I think fox a fun to watch, but if you are annoyed with his presence the only way to make him absent would be to shoot him. You could try non-lethal shot first if you don't want to kill him, unless a last resort.

-Kim

Eliminate him! Not only will he/she come back for more, but if it is raising pups in that den, it will teach the pups about this very easy source of food....then the problem multiplies!

Kill him!! I wouldn't wait. I had 2 Porcupine last fall after mine, needless to say they are gone now.

You may have to kill him or ask for a nuisance animal officer to come trap and relocate, however it may have a litter now......
I did see somewhere in a magazine a long time ago a product that hooked up to your hose. It was a sensor that was designed for deer or other pests to protect your garden. When it sensed something it would spray water out, startling the animal. Not sure if it would work for a fox though? You can do a search under pest control.

hi Chelle,

We are where you are. Our fox population has increased to the point that they pretty well wiped us out two years in a row.

Finally can't handle it if we plan to have poultry. We are now systemically working to eradicate them. Working on it, since one met us at the barn door this morning. :mad:

Good luck.

I had 2 Porcupine last fall after mine

Porcupines are rodents...they only eat vegetable matter...
The porcupines found in North and South America are good climbers and spend much of their time in trees. Some even have prehensile (gripping) tails to aid in climbing. The North American porcupine is the only species that lives in the U.S. and Canada, and is the largest of all porcupines. A single animal may have 30,000 or more quills. North American porcupines use their large front teeth to satisfy a healthy appetite for wood. They eat natural bark and stems, and have been known to invade campgrounds and chew on canoe paddles. North American porcupines also eat fruit, leaves, and springtime buds.

The fox keeps coming back because he's trying to figure out a way in to get the rest of his free meals.​

Hahaha. I walk back this morning and sat pretty far back and watched him.

No wonder he keeps coming back,
my rooster gets as close as he can get to the pen without being 'too close' and struts his stuff.
crowing, scratching dirt at it, raising his hackles.
lol.png

The fox just kind of stands there dumbstruck, like, what is this magical barrier protecting him!?!?

I think we're going to live trap and release him FAR FAR FAR away.

I don't think I could kill him, He's kinda cute in that weird i ripped your chickens apart way.

Back
Top Bottom