I am in love with goats!

Reinbeau

The Teapot Underground
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Mar 1, 2007
Hanson, MA & Lebanon, Maine
Oh my goodness. I've always said I wanted goats, now I know I want them. My husband and I went to a young couple's home today to pick up a package of bees. I got out of the car and immediately noticed they had chickens - we know them from the bee club, we talk bees, we've never talked chickens before. Very nice looking flock of many of the same breeds as I have, but they have all their feathers - no rooster.

Anyways, I walked down to the chickens to check them out and looked to the left - and there was a nice new fenced in area with three dwarf nigerian dairy goats, two does (is that what you call a female goat?) and a wether (sp?). I walked over to the fence and one of the girls came right over to me and climbed up the fence with her front feet - she was so friendly! She just loved to be patted! The others were just as friendly and nice - and yes, all three of them tried to eat my shirt
gig.gif
Poor hubby's eyes are rolling to the back of his head again, he lives in fear of my bringing home a goat or two - he'd better be afraid, very afraid!
lau.gif

My wife keeps saying, "Why don't you get a Dexter?" I say, In the City?, She says what about a goat. I laugh.

Perhaps there should be a "backyardgoats" as well.
thumbsup.gif

I am with you, I would love goats, but my husband knows they climb on everything and the answer is NO! They are soooo cute! But one time on top of the car, or tractor...that would be it!
No goats here...
sad.png

Well, these guys didn't seem to be able to climb out of that fence, although the littlest one is trying really hard to wiggle underneath the gate, but she's just too big - and there are cinderblocks in her way, but she's a determined little thing, I'll bet she'll get big enough (these goats are all just about a year old now) to push them if they don't get them set in place soon!

Mahroni, Rob has been working on a backyardgoats.com, unfortunately some woman owns the name and won't relinquish it - nor is she using it!

I want one, bad. Someone on Craigslist is selling 2 buckling's 1/4 Alpine, 1/4 Saanen, 1/2 nubian. Super cute and $25.00/ea.

We have a barn, but obviously no heat, and in Western WI. What do you think it would take to winter them over? I mean if I have a barn stall, but no heat, would that work? Obviously I would be doing diligent reesearch before ever going out and buying a goat, but man I love those animals!

How sweet! Come over to the dark side and get yourself two goats (never just one). Only build a fence that will hold back a tidal wave of water or you will never enjoy a pretty garden again. They will mow it down. If you love the tiny ones come let my 155lbs herd queen nuzzle you for sweet treats. lol

One thing that has worked well for us, is we built the fence and then we fell some smaller trees that we had on our property too close together and nailed the fence to the logs with those big fencing nails. This way when the nigerians try to go under they are strong enough to move the logs. It worked quite well.

The only place mine escape from is the gate which is now why it has a bungee high on it and low and a board propped against it.

I love my goat babies and just picked up another registered Nigerian doe yesterday for $50. She is precious!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom