I am in love with goats!

Such is why I have big goats with too much heft to get themselves up and off the ground very far. LOL

Great photo, chickenlittle.

Thanks! No matter what, they never got out of the yard. Which I am surprised. LOL I don't have no idea how to milk a goat, that's one reason why I picked pygmies. I just wanted them (at first) for weed control. Now, I couldn't do without them.​

Why! Why!, why did someone have to start a thread about these creatures? Okay, so let's do this!

What is you take on goat breeds, I love how the African Pygmies look, so cute! But the Nigerian's are beautiful as well, I have about five acres, and about half is covered with weeds, I have a large drafty timberframe barn, but I could frame in a smaller area within. This is Minnesota, Western Wisconsin, so the temps get 20 below or colder.

Any suggestions on which breed might be the best, cold hardy, weed eaters, sweetest?

thanks, I spent a perfectly rainy, cold day web surfing all about goats! I need therapy for obsessive compulsive disorder

Quote:
Well, the question for me is why, why did I have to stop at those peoples' house and meet the friendliest, cutest little things ever?
lol.png
If you're trying to resist them, don't whatever you do, go near them!
love.gif

Well my 10 yr old daughter says she wants a goat for her birthday. She tells this to her father, that she only sees about 2 or 3 times a year. He says he will get her one, and he has no knowledge of animals so untelling what will be brought home with her. I told him ( and it has to be simple instructions), No sick goats, but preferable a female and ok if it is prego. I don't have any goats but I guess they are coming.

vickie2131 said:
Well my 10 yr old daughter says she wants a goat for her birthday. She tells this to her father, that she only sees about 2 or 3 times a year. He says he will get her one, and he has no knowledge of animals so untelling what will be brought home with her. I told him ( and it has to be simple instructions), No sick goats, but preferable a female and ok if it is prego. I don't have any goats but I guess they are coming.

Yippee for your daughter and that you are willing and able to help her with your new family members. You do need to make sure he gets her TWO goats. They are very social and need the company of another goat to be at their healthiest and happiest. I don't know if it's an option with your relationship with him but it would be wise for you and your daughter to research goats and TELL him exactly what she wants for her birthday. For example: a small breed (Pygmy, Nigi, Fainter) with no horns, a certain age, a doe or wether, etc. and then - he has to get two.

And, make sure you have the fencing and shed/barn all ready for them before they get there.

Have fun!​

Back
Top Bottom