1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I am looking for free or cheap hens, Ms

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Jazlyn, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Jazlyn

Jazlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    South Mississippi
    Hi [​IMG]. I am new to the site and have a lonely rooster. I would like to get a few hens for him. I was thinking three would be a good number. I would like some good layers if possible that are moderately big just because he is kinda big. I think my Ideal would be one grown experienced brooding hen and two younger hens that might not be so broody (maybe not set at all). I think he is a sex link but am not sure, the hen(s) don't need to be any particular breed. .
    Thanks!

Also, I say Cheap, But mostly I just mean I don't want to pay $7.50 for a scrawny sickly mix breed chicken. Which is what people have been trying to sell me. I will pay a fair price for good hens.

2. dragonchick

dragonchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    You might check craigslist of your local freecycle. Sometimes the local animal shelter might have brids they have had to rescue.
    Andi

3. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    Quote:Auctions might be a good place to get hens. Laying pullets are probably the preminum right now. Most people will pay a higher price for them. I would add more than three to your roo dpending on how experienced he is. If he is sexual mature he might harass 3 hens. I would get hens that were at least 1 year or so. A good broody would be a buff orpington and a good hen for a breed that isn't likely to brood would be a plymouth barred rock. Both breeds are good layers and are a docile and quiet breed. Your barred rocks will lay fertile eggs and your buff will brood them.

4. Jayare's Chicks

Jayare's Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2007
    Florence, Alabama
    Jaz,
    How close are you to Tupelo?
    I just got some little chickies from Mandy this week and she has lots of chicks at all different ages.

Jayare

5. Sabrinainmiss

Sabrinainmiss Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    Gothenburg, Nebraska
    Where in Mississippi are you?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by