I am looking for free or cheap hens, Ms

Jazlyn

Songster
12 Years
Sep 30, 2007
South Mississippi
Hi
smile.png
. I am new to the site and have a lonely rooster. I would like to get a few hens for him. I was thinking three would be a good number. I would like some good layers if possible that are moderately big just because he is kinda big. I think my Ideal would be one grown experienced brooding hen and two younger hens that might not be so broody (maybe not set at all). I think he is a sex link but am not sure, the hen(s) don't need to be any particular breed. .
Thanks!

Also, I say Cheap, But mostly I just mean I don't want to pay $7.50 for a scrawny sickly mix breed chicken. Which is what people have been trying to sell me. I will pay a fair price for good hens.

You might check craigslist of your local freecycle. Sometimes the local animal shelter might have brids they have had to rescue.
Andi

Quote:
Auctions might be a good place to get hens. Laying pullets are probably the preminum right now. Most people will pay a higher price for them. I would add more than three to your roo dpending on how experienced he is. If he is sexual mature he might harass 3 hens. I would get hens that were at least 1 year or so. A good broody would be a buff orpington and a good hen for a breed that isn't likely to brood would be a plymouth barred rock. Both breeds are good layers and are a docile and quiet breed. Your barred rocks will lay fertile eggs and your buff will brood them.

Back
Top Bottom